Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt >

Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt

Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt

Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM

The first wallet I ever made was made for a lefty, of which I am one. Just gave it to a left-handed friend who thought for sure I had done it on purpose just for her.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM

that is a better design because the pocket photo has him looking into, not gazing out of the project, besides, why shouldn't you make things for other lefties?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM

What is the name of the left handed quilting book and the author? I can see how easily it would be to do everything backwards.

When I was trying needle turn applique with just a quilt book, it was all backwards and I finally just stopped because I could not adapt to her right-hand teaching. I still have all the material.

Originally Posted by SueSew
Oh yes. I finally found a quilt book which had some left-handed pictures and AT LAST - light dawned...I had been doing everything backwards except sew.
I still tend to get left, right in and out mixed up and have to redo it, but at least now I have mental images of how to lay out fabric and cut fabric without slicing self.
The only thing easy is changing the presser foot as the screw is on the LEFT!!! :)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM

What is the name of the left handed quilting book and the author? I can see how easily it would be to do everything backwards.

When I was trying needle turn applique with just a quilt book, it was all backwards and I finally just stopped because I could not adapt to her right-hand teaching. I still have all the material.

Originally Posted by SueSew
Oh yes. I finally found a quilt book which had some left-handed pictures and AT LAST - light dawned...I had been doing everything backwards except sew.
I still tend to get left, right in and out mixed up and have to redo it, but at least now I have mental images of how to lay out fabric and cut fabric without slicing self.
The only thing easy is changing the presser foot as the screw is on the LEFT!!! :)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Another lefty here, although i can use a rotary cutter with either my left or right hand. When it comes to using scissors though or hand sewing, then I have to use my left hand, but its never given me any problems as regards quilting.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Welcome to my world!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by frauhahn
Ah, the world just doesn't realize how handicapped we lefties are!!! But always remember- we are the only ones in our right minds!
With that being said than what does that make an ambidextrous person?

:twisted:
Well, I don't really understand which is left and which is right....
When I have to know, like going for a driver's test, I have to put a tight rubber band on one of my fingers or wrist of my right hand, so I know right is the one that hurts!

Besides, who cares? Rotary cutters don't know either!
J
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Go girls I'm a lefty also but I keep plugging along. I think I have the most trouble getting the rulers right.
I have found I measure more times and cut once and sometimes it doesn't turn out right but I keep trying.
keep up the good work gals. kjym Kathy
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Another righty says leave the pocket where it is.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Lefty here, too.
It seems that somewhere waaay back (kindergarten?) that I adapted myself to use scissors right-handed.
There weren't any left-handed scissors there!

I guess I don't realize that I do anything backwards, until someone right-handed points it out.
But then.. it's only backwards to a right-handed person. :D