Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt? >

Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt?

Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sugarmag
Hi! New to the forum here but look forward to it!

I am finishing up my first log cabin quilt and as such, it is a busy quilt on it's own. Can anyone recommend a good quilting "pattern" or other, for the top that will not take away from the log cabin blocks but will still compliment the top? I was already thinking of using an invisible nylon thread for the top thread, but having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with it.

My layout is a barn raising set square with well defined lights and darks.

Thanks!
For me when I do log Cabins, I really like to just stitch in the ditch. Then nothing is really taken away from the pattern itself. I don't send my quilts to LA's. and do them myself, but I have made two king size LC's and stitched in the ditch on both of them. My smaller ones the same, but this is must my preference.
By the way, I love your quilt and the colors you used. You really did a great job on it.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Has anyone ever done a log cabin "quilt as you go?" . I just finished one ( my profile picture) and working on my second one now. EASY to do and when the blocks are together- its done. :)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Beautiful!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by scu114
Has anyone ever done a log cabin "quilt as you go?" . I just finished one ( my profile picture) and working on my second one now. EASY to do and when the blocks are together- its done. :)
How do you do Quilt as you go ? Do you have a pattern or di you just make it up yourself?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Very simple. I did use a pattern from a book. Basically- as I sewed the strips to each other-- I was doing it on the batting and back square-- This was my third quilt- so that will tell you how easy it was. I will look for the book. Made the whole quilt reversible too:)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM

It looks like you did an awesome job for a 3rd quilt!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM

I quilted in the ditch, looks good
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

I made a log cabin for my husband and didn't want to do any fancy quilting on it. I just did straight line quilting in a chevon pattern in each quarter after doing a big X across the center. Hope you can see enough detail in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-179735.jpe
Views:	1188
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	179741  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Beautiful quilt!!! How about feathers in all the light areas, using light beige thread,,, and feathers in the darker areas using a darker thread..???? Quilting will only enhance the beauty of this quilt. Great job!!
I agree on this. Anything swirly too. It's so beautiful and also in my top 3 for favorite patterns!! You did a great job :thumbup:
Ditto:-)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

You all are so supportive! Thanks so much for all the ideas! I haven't had a chance to get to know my way around the board yet but thanks for posting the link to the LC photos. I got some great ideas from those and from you all. I should have posted an updated pic of the quilt top, that pic was the blocks laid out on the floor. I now have it all sewn together with a border.

I'm leaning on SITD as I like the way it looked on the pictures I saw and maybe feathers on the border. I will need to practice my FM a bit before I do the border...it's been awhile. :-) there were so many ideas...and interestingly enough, they all looked great in pics I saw. LC quilts lend themselves to so much fun. I'm glad I finally got around to making one.

Thanks for the info on the threads, all this is extremely helpful. I promise to post my pic when I complete it.