Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star?? >

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Like most people have mentioned... these are not just tutorials... it is a class. Like you would probably take at your local LQS. And with any type of class, it is not free.

I agree with you that Jenny is an awesomeeeee teacher. If it was not for her, I would not have known what to do once I decided to get into quilting. Yes, the message board helped with some things, but at that time... Jenny was THE BEST hands down. And she has such a good-natured spirit. I even love it when she does an Oopsie. She is just so cute about it. She makes me feel like it is okay to make mistakes and to just have fun with it. Her class is the only one I would be able to afford... the beginner classes in my area are around $200. To me...that is a big rip-off. Especially if you had had a long day and were tired and either could not make the class or just could not concentrate. With the Missouri Star place, I would be able to watch, listen, and learn at my own convenience, and still be able to ask whatever questions I have. I have been so impatient to get a few bucks so that I can take the Missouri Star classes. Oh, and let me reiterate.... I LOVE JENNY. lolllllllll[/quote]

TOTALLY AGREE!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM

These classes are for anyone. Even us old folks can learn new tricks. She showed me how to make the drunkards path a lot easier than my momma taught me. So don't knock it till you try it. Jenny is the best! I can't wait for the 3rd. in the series. I have taken classes at my LQS and gotten ripped off. When you pay $60. for the class and you have to buy the materials and supplies from the quilt shop and they are always in a hurry to end the class...that is when you feel cheated.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 PM

I love watching Jenny & am glad to hear you all love her new classes online. I am even happier to know her youtube tutorials have not disappeared from the web. Thanks for the opinions on her classes.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
WOW! :shock: I totally agree! Why in the world would we pay for tutorials when there are tons and tons of them online?? JMHO but don't think this will be a profitable adventure??!
Someone somewhere didn't do their research very well to think that quilter's will pay for tutorials. I agree...won't be much profit in it.

For me, I'm gonna stick with my magazines and books...and the freebies on the internet.. 8-) :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 AM

I didnt know there were 2 courses, I bought the 10 lesson one, I'll have to try to find out about the second one. I love it!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Help: I saw a list of on line video instructors and watched Kay Woods (I think). Could someone please send me the list my computer decided to shut down right after I found them.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I didnt know there were 2 courses, I bought the 10 lesson one, I'll have to try to find out about the second one. I love it!!!
I just signed up for the second one. I had received an email offering it for a 40% discount. Just about finished with the first, can't wait to start the second. She is a great teacher!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
WOW! :shock: I totally agree! Why in the world would we pay for tutorials when there are tons and tons of them online?? JMHO but don't think this will be a profitable adventure??!
Someone somewhere didn't do their research very well to think that quilter's will pay for tutorials. I agree...won't be much profit in it.

For me, I'm gonna stick with my magazines and books...and the freebies on the internet.. 8-) :thumbup:

You are right, but these are online classes, not tutorials. More in depth. Not for everyone or probably the advanced quilter (or more confident ones, which I am not :shock: ) but I found them really helpful.

I love the magazines too...just like eye candy! Although lately, I like to browse them a Borders before buying, because every once in a while, they get repetitive...BUT sure does get the old creative juices flowing. :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM

quote]

I completely disagree with this statement above: there IS a lot of profit potential in online classes for her...she only has to record the videos once and then people buy the course for $29 or however much they charge...if only 50 people sign up (which is highly likely considering how huge the Missouri Star email list must be) that's $1,450..and all she has to do is answer questions that as knowledgeable as she is would be pretty simple to do. I think it's a fabulous way for a well-respected online or LQS to make extra income, because let's face it, many of them are struggling or trying hard to stay in business. I understand quilters not wanting to pay for tutorials when so much is free online, but don't "knock" others for wanting to get extra instruction from an excellent teacher like Jenny or for a quilt store (online or offline) to try and think up new ways to earn income in these tough times when the cost of their product (fabric) is increasing and the big box stores are offering 50% off coupons left and right.

From all of my past very positive experiences with them, I choose to believe Missouri Star is not doing anything "underhanded" or "sneaky" by offering these classes..I think they're being smart and keeping up with the times and the way people are learning..why shouldn't they be compensated for their skills? Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM

I wonder how many people have "Paid" for a Pattern, or a book (Example - Eleanor Burns products)? Those are just printed pieces of paper sold over and over again, after the first initial idea was thought up. How is that any different than a tutorial or a class? The only real difference is that the MSQC is in "interactive class". Just like the ones people go to at their LQS to learn different things. I personally prefer the online type of courses. As the timings and the high cost of paying for the classes (my local ones) don't coincide with my personal schedule or pocket book.

I am glad that Missouri Star (Jenny Doans) has classes. I have always thought she should do them. She is a good instructor and has a great personality which makes it very fun and easy to learn.

I think that people tend to forget that not everyone goes out of the home to take classes. Heck, colleges and universities have online courses. I call that "keeping up with the times".

P.S. I only paid $25 dollars for the course (which I signed up last night for). I had a 50% off coupon.