Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about some drywall work >

Question about some drywall work

Question about some drywall work

Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Well, closet carpet rarely gets faded or dirty. I doubt you will have to replace it unless you just wanted to and then just cut it out and lay tile and add a floor rug. Remember it's a closet, no use adding extra expense.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Well, closet carpet rarely gets faded or dirty. I doubt you will have to replace it unless you just wanted to. Remember it's a closet, no use adding extra expense.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I wondered how I got two posts, I wasn't finished with the first. LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
No, read my post again. Taxes are LOWER if it's not a bedroom. If it doesn't have a closet, it doesn't count as a bedroom. When we bought this place, there was no door on the stall shower either. No door means it's a half bath instead of a full bath. Another way to lower property taxes.
Oops, misread....sorry. Still am a bit confused but that's OK...thought taxes here were based on square footage of the home or at least that's what I'm accustomed to....plus whatever upgrades made to the home whether cosmetic or additions. Now you've got me wondering...guess I'll have to check it out here and see what they tell me. I believe you, it's just I've never heard of this before. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM

The county I live in goes by how much concret is is on the lot, have a shed and green house in back yard not counted as not on cement
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi catrancher,

IMHO, I would get some other estimates. I would never think about putting anything over the existing carpeting. It would not be a snug fit from floor to ceiling and could cause serious problems down the road. If they're talking about taking corners on this basic item where else might they be taking short cuts? I would get someone else to do the work.

Also have you thought about getting a free standing closet armoir? This may or may not be cheaper but in the end you could take it with you or sell the closet.

I once saw a closet that came in four sections. There was a base section that had three drawers. On top of it was two closets one which was wider than the other. Then on top of the two closets was a top piece that held the two closet sections together. The total unit was about 6+ foot wide. With it being in sections it was easy to carry and move.

The person who had this unit was moving over several states but had decided they liked it so much that she was taking it with her. I have been looking in antiques and furniture sections ever since and have yet to find a unit like it.

Your qb id does not list where you're located. I would first ask around to see what others are doing or have done. I would think twice about changing the room if you're not staying there permanently.

Good luck in deciding the best course of action.

Pam M
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Originally Posted by catrancher
No, read my post again. Taxes are LOWER if it's not a bedroom. If it doesn't have a closet, it doesn't count as a bedroom. When we bought this place, there was no door on the stall shower either. No door means it's a half bath instead of a full bath. Another way to lower property taxes.
Oops, misread....sorry. Still am a bit confused but that's OK...thought taxes here were based on square footage of the home or at least that's what I'm accustomed to....plus whatever upgrades made to the home whether cosmetic or additions. Now you've got me wondering...guess I'll have to check it out here and see what they tell me. I believe you, it's just I've never heard of this before. Thanks for the info!
No worries. I think states (and even counties) have different laws, but where I am square footage is only part of it. Number of bedrooms and bathrooms also counts. Different kinds of flooring, etc. All goes into the valuation of a home and it's tax bill.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi catrancher,

IMHO, I would get some other estimates. I would never think about putting anything over the existing carpeting. It would not be a snug fit from floor to ceiling and could cause serious problems down the road. If they're talking about taking corners on this basic item where else might they be taking short cuts? I would get someone else to do the work.

Also have you thought about getting a free standing closet armoir? This may or may not be cheaper but in the end you could take it with you or sell the closet.

I once saw a closet that came in four sections. There was a base section that had three drawers. On top of it was two closets one which was wider than the other. Then on top of the two closets was a top piece that held the two closet sections together. The total unit was about 6+ foot wide. With it being in sections it was easy to carry and move.

The person who had this unit was moving over several states but had decided they liked it so much that she was taking it with her. I have been looking in antiques and furniture sections ever since and have yet to find a unit like it.

Your qb id does not list where you're located. I would first ask around to see what others are doing or have done. I would think twice about changing the room if you're not staying there permanently.

Good luck in deciding the best course of action.

Pam M
Thanks for yoyr comment. We have an armoire in there now. I've just always wanted a real closet. We have to have some drywall repair done, and so this seems like a good time to do it. The room is long and narrow, and the armoire seems really big. A closet would look better, even though the room will be a little smaller because of it.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Just to throw this in the mix. I live in a mobile home and that is the way they are constructed. Floor is built, flooring installed and then side walls and interior walls framed in right on top of the existing flooring. I have never had any problems with my home, but have not tried changing the carpet yet (coming in the near future) so we will see.

Sheila
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM

This is my husbands business.......he said he would cut out the carpet where the wall will go. He has seen it done over the carpet.......but he wouldn't. He has been in business for over 40 years and is a perfectionist. Hope this helps. Judy