Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 AM

I love the wreath idea! Buttons were always one of the favorite items when I was teaching kindergarten and pre-K. Kids would sit and sort them in so many different ways and we used them for counting also. They also used them in House Center to make different foods - cakes, stews, you name it, they created it with buttons and imagination.
So you might want to check into donating them to an area school.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM

When my granddaughter was small and wanted "to sew" with me, I would get my buttons out and we would find the duplicate buttons. I would thread a 6 strand embroidery floss, on a smaller tapestry needle..not much of a sharp point, knot the end, and let her "string on the matching buttons". When finished just tie and cut, and then you have matching buttons already together when you need them. She loved doing that!! And, we had "together" time. Good memories....now that she is 21!!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 AM

I used buttone to tac a small lap quilt and it worked great.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM

I like to shop for unusual buttons with the idea of making earrings. Just file the loop off the back, glue a post on & you have a pr. of original pierced earrings. I don't tell where they came from, ha!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM

I use vintage buttons to embellish many of my quilts, especially mini's or wall hangings.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
the wreath is cute !!!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM

I examine jars of buttons looking for antique or very different ones. One halloween when my daughter was choosing her costume for the parade and costume competition we dicided that dressed as a cotumemonger (spelling) or "pearleys" an English tradition where these people had clothing was covered with buttons would e fun. We glued thousands of white buttons on a full long shirt, a jacket, a straw hat and a mask. (October in New Hampshire is cold) It was a great costume and it was fun to hear the buttons sometimes fall on the street as she walked. Speaking of falling, I had a box of buttons that I was taking to my son's nursery school for collage activities. As I drove to the school and was turning a corner I heard his shhhhhhhhhhhhhh on the road. I had left the box of buttons on the top of the car and as I turned the corner they spilled all over the road. I didn't pick them up.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM

TELL THEM- you gave up button collecting,NOW you collect 100% quilting cotton!! LOL!!-see what you get!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Buttons are wonderful for folks that embellish. I make crazy quilts and am always on the lookout for interesting buttons. Kick myself for getting rid of lots of buttons when I did not do crazy quilting. Look at it this way. Family loves you and wants to contribute something that pertains to your quilting. Once went to a place in Ohio where they had cemented buttons into the walls of a gazebo. It was wonderful to see.
Donna
Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM

I love buttons. I make pins with them - make a heart-shaped clay base, glue on buttons and lace and pearls or other small gems then outline the outside edge of the heart with ribbon. I then spray it with clear varnish.
You can send your buttons to me. LOL