Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

I love buttons, send them to me!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 PM

Love the blog doecdoe.blogspot.com - she posted a great idea with buttons on January 13, 2011 ... got the idea from here ... http://www.designspongeonline.com/20...splay-art.html
Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM

In my mind button collections belong in two groups, those of us that really don't want to throw them away because "I really might need one", or I can use it for this or that.

Then there are the really dedicated collectors of vintage buttons that were made centurys ago or made from wood or bone or especially ivory, which is now illegal. There are beautiful handmade buttons and blown glass ones. There are still hand made buttons that are very expensive and found in bridal departments. Beautiful.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM

I absolutely HATE buttons. Hate, hate, hate even the thought of buttons. I have no reason why, but must come from something in my childhood. I do remember my grandmother having a big tin full of buttons of all colors, shapes, sizes, etc. and I know I used to sort through them for her. Now when I buy clothes that have extra buttons with them, I put them in a plastic container and hide them in the back of my dresser drawer so I don't see them. SHUDDER!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
i love buttons too,don't know why, but i have tons and tons of them. When i was little i use to play with my mothers, i sorted them and strung them for her lol. My fascination is still here.
me too!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
i love buttons too,don't know why, but i have tons and tons of them. When i was little i use to play with my mothers, i sorted them and strung them for her lol. My fascination is still here.
me too!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Do kids still sort buttons? As a child, I too, was a button-sorter. My grandfather was a woodworker and he made a miniature dresser where my mother kept her buttons. A rainy, not-feeling-too-well day was always made better by dumping all the drawers and refilling them by that day's criteria. Today, I have that dresser with many of the buttons that I used to play with still in it, but nowadays it collects mostly dust.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM

I LOVE buttons! I have an 11 year old granddaughter who just loves to dump them out and sort through them too. Not sure what the attraction is - just love em. :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
Cute ornament! May have to give this a try. :lol:
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM

I also love buttons, big jars filled with old buttons.