Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 AM

Hi Michael, you have just joined a bunch of enablers.

BTW, why such a small stash?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 AM

LOL Welcome to the club!!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 AM

Hi Michael! We met at Kaye Englands's in Lexington a couple weeks ago. Love your Earhart quilt. Now, about that stash. It's not a shame to have "back-up" fabric. Your collection allows you the freedom to swap out fabrics from kits that just don't do it for you. I love to cut, so when I buy fabric & pattern, I rush home and cut it up. That way, I have the copy of the pattern to look at 'til I'm ready. When I'm ready to go to Quilt College again, or a quilt retreat at Threads of Time in Danville IL, all I have to do is pick up my kits and go! We're just extremely organized, you and I. People need to get over it!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 AM

Hahaha... I share your compulsion, and I'll bet a lot of others on the board do, too. There is just something about fabric. Well, it could be worse - it could be alcohol or drugs - so just appreciate your fabric. At least we can do something productive with the fabric and it doesn't harm our bodies and minds. I'm with you on the moratorium on buying, for a while, at least. :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 AM

I swore off buying fabric in January....I currently have several, okay 19 bids on ebay for Kaffe Fasset fat quarters. I can not tell you how much fabric I've bought since January, but I've added several totes to my stash. I have a problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 AM

I just started quilting two years ago after retiring from teaching. I've never bought large quantities of anything. I swore when I began this that I would NEVER do what those other silly people did. Why on earth would anybody buy fabric if they weren't going to use it in a project? Ha! That lasted about 6 months. I have smaller plastic containers with the quilt "makings" for about 7 or 8 quilts plus a large cabinet full and 3 smaller bookshelves full. I can tell you what happened to me. I know.
Discovered online sales and couldn't say no. If it's a good bargain, I will snap it up in a heartbeat with absolutely nothing in mind. Pretty Civil War fabric, oh yeah. 1930s...I might make something someday and need it. Baby fabric? yeah...I know somebody will be having a baby soon. It just happens.
I'm currently trying to NOT buy anything unless it's for a current project. I've done pretty well for about 3 months. This is ALMOST worse than craving chocolate!!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 AM

i don't think what I have is more than yours but it is fun to shop for fabric. You walk into a store and your mind starts clicking. If you ever want to send some my way that is fine with me. =)
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 AM

I know what you mean, I have fabric that I look at and think Oh thats to nice to cut into, then I find something else or buy some thing esle. I have decided I'm a fabriholic if there is such a word and yes I have tried to stop buying fabric, but what do you do when a quilt shop you love decides to close and is having 40% off all in the shop! why you have phone or stop by and buy some more, only because she is closing down (I did both). May I say the quilt shop was where my daughter lives and she is a 3 1/2hr drive from us, do you think I have it bad Oh yeah!!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 AM

We have relatives in Cedar Rapids. She used to be a staff reporter for the Gazette! Love that town.

I am just finishing a quilt and I bought the fabric at Heritage Quilts in Amana, Iowa (relatives there too).

I don't buy kits. I go to Quilters Cache.com and get patterns from that site, print them up and make quilts from that. Hope that helps you a bit! My mom has made valances for her house from quilt patterns. You could make table cloths - I am just thinking to use up a bit of your stash and give you some much deserved room?????? Mom's valances look like Frank Lloyd Wright designs and are quite beautiful. I have a quilting book, "Quilts in the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright by Jackie Robinson. They make gorgeous wall hangings.

Good luck to you. Edie
Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
I just started quilting two years ago after retiring from teaching. I've never bought large quantities of anything. I swore when I began this that I would NEVER do what those other silly people did. Why on earth would anybody buy fabric if they weren't going to use it in a project? Ha! That lasted about 6 months. I have smaller plastic containers with the quilt "makings" for about 7 or 8 quilts plus a large cabinet full and 3 smaller bookshelves full. I can tell you what happened to me. I know.
Discovered online sales and couldn't say no. If it's a good bargain, I will snap it up in a heartbeat with absolutely nothing in mind. Pretty Civil War fabric, oh yeah. 1930s...I might make something someday and need it. Baby fabric? yeah...I know somebody will be having a baby soon. It just happens.
I'm currently trying to NOT buy anything unless it's for a current project. I've done pretty well for about 3 months. This is ALMOST worse than craving chocolate!!
I love this, it gave me laugh and warmed my heart knowing you are not alone