Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM

I had to stop drinking my tea while I reading some of these! Too funny! I was hunting for a piece of fabric the other day and found three separate purchases of the same fabric! Evidently I really like that fabric, but have I done anything with it? Nooooo. At least Michael has the whole kit ready to go. Probably 2 years ago I bought a panel that I just had to have (actually I bought two, one in green and one in blue). Decided to useI the panel for a going away gift for a friend who is moving. It would have been nice if I had bought ANY of the coordinating fabric because I could only find one or two prints online. So down to the LQS I went for two hours hunting for the 'rest of the quilt'. I really was trying to shop my stash. Sigh. So glad I am not alone.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM

So join the club.. your not the only one.. I have fabric that I have not seen in ages... But I don't do kits.. (would like to tho) hahhha.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM
RDM

I appreciate your confession as it mirrors my passion for fabric. I love, love, love color and fabric is my medium, it feeds my soul as I create something useful and beautiful with it, often to be given away as a gift. I'm trying to not buy and use stash. What I hate is when I open an out of date fabric catalog and wish I had bought so much more. Your stash is nicely well organized. Thanks for making me reflect upon why fabric grabs me so.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
You just make me laugh. Welcome to the world of addiction. Mr. Holmes, when people come over to visit and they see that I am a quilter (live in a 100 year old house near the downtown so the insulation isn't great upstairs where the studio is I will quilt down stairs in the dining room in the winter) So when they come in the first thing they say is this your sewing room, so then my wife says "Oh no Joann's and our LQS is up stairs. I have built in shelves for my fabric on the bolts (keep in mind I have fabric from tailoring projects and Ball gowns from the Miss Washington State pagent and a few of the woman that went on to Miss USA pagent gowns also.) But most of it is quilt fabric. 16, 25 gallon tubs of FQ's and charmpacks and jelly rolls and 13 tubs of quilting flats, most of them 3 t0 5 yards. And that is just in the studio, in the attic there are 37 50 gallon tubs of fleece, cotton fabric, pagent material and batting.
I think maybe "buried alive" the confession of a hoarder would be the program for me. Oh did i mention the 4 tubs of quilting thread, sewing thread and serger thread, and it goes on.
Chinz up, It will get better LOL. By the way, I have been put on restriction from fabric, now I shop on the board and I get home before she does so I always get the mail first.......
Robert

:D :D
Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 AM

This is very reassuring that none of us are alone :)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miholmes
... I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate... :P
Oh, that is hilarious! Wait, no, not that funny as I look around my own sewing room... Hello, my name is Deonn and I'm a quiltaholic...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ann L
This is very reassuring that none of us are alone :)
Amen Sister......I love the reply about shopping for fabric on the board because we know someone out there has it. LOL isn't that the truth.
R
Old 04-16-2011, 08:50 AM

It's not your fault, Michael. Fabrics breeds at night. It's what they do.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 AM

I have laughed so hard. I believe I can relate with every one who has posted here. My husband threatens to drop my purchases in the trash. My children have begged me to stop buying fabric. This isn't addiction, it's therapy, right?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM

I took a serious look at my stash last year when the call when out to make one million pillow cases for children in hospitals. My first thought was to go out and BUY fabric. But the weather was bad so I shopped my closet, and was able to make 25 pillowcases (that take 1 yd of fabric, + 1/4 for band) without buying one yard from the store. That was also a good way to use up some of those "what was I thinking" materials, and I did my part in cheering up some sick children. :-P