Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm jealous. I have lots of fabric, but I'm too new to have as much as you - happy sewing!! You could be spending your money on booze, drugs, etc - this is much better for you and a LOT more fun I bet. NO GUILT!!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:32 PM

I feel your pain. I have UFO's that are over 10 years old. I bought more fabric this week and can't remember what I bought them for. I solemnly vow not to buy any more fabric (at least not until the next time I go to the LQS or Joann's) until I use up or at least finish 1 of my projects.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Have loved all of the Posts. I did find a "cure"and I miss the afflication !!I moved into a 35 ft.Motorhome 10 yrs ago.Had to take 2 machines with me. Have a small stash. The clerks giggle when I come into fabric stores and literly "roll and sniff" in the isles..Have still done lots of sewing and met lots of sewers on the road,exchanging ideas and patterns. Fun!!!Have the Bible for quilt stores all across the USA.(hit as many as possible)
Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Michael, you can't be a real quilter until you have a big stash, so you are on the right track.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Originally Posted by Shirleyg
So let's just not stress over it and come to this board to confess and make us feel better. We are not alone in doing this. I was watching a show on TLC called extreme couponing and after that I don't feel bad about my fabric at all. Some of those people had thousands of one item just because they had a coupon for it and doing that took them hours just to prepare to go grocery shoping. To me that's food hording but hay, if that makes them feel good then who am I to judge...
I watched Extreme Couponing and I had to stop I got so mad! Ok, first of all: Why is food hoarding called 'stockpiling' but fabric 'stockpiling' is called hoarding? No. Just no.

Secondly: I am extremely offended by the sight of the person clearing the shelf of mustard. What about other people who might have a coupon and would like to buy that brand but now can't? No one should be allowed to do that.

I believe that kind of shopping also drives food prices up because the manufacturers think there is more demand than there really is which then creates a false mini shortage and drives the prices up. Perhaps this sounds judgmental but in these times where there are people who can just barely get enough food to feed their families I really don't like seeing people proudly showing off their homes stuffed with more food and goods than they can ever use in the product's lifetime.
I couldn't agree more with everything you've said. However I am reminded of the craze we went through when everyone found out about the rotary/carpet cutter blades that could be found at Harbor Freight for only 2.98 a two pack. People were scooping them off the shelves and creating a "sellout" at all the HF stores. Sadly some of our board members were never able to find any on the shelves because they couldn't get to their store fast enough. Hoarding is hoarding no matter what the items are that are being hoarded. :wink:
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Bev

I'd like to add to my comment by confessing I too am a fabric hoarder. I DO believe however, that purchasing a lot of fabric for future use or for leaving it to our kids isn't the same as hoarding things that are needed by others who can't get them because of hoarders. But maybe that's just rationalizing? :roll:
Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 PM

welcome to the board Michael
Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Hi Michael,
I'm impressed by how much fabric you have aquired in such a short amount of time. Way to go!! My "stash" wasn't too bad until a friend of mine took me to a couple of closing quilt stores, one with fantastic batiks, and another quilt shop selling fabric for $2.99/yd, the owner was just making room for new fabric. Most of this was done while I was recovering from surgery and I had plans to do a lot of quilting until I could go back to work. The size of my "stash" didn't hit me until my sister passed away and I inherited her stash, and then we "downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apartment. YIKES!!! I purged a lot (but my friend says that if there is anything I really need, I can get it back), passed yards and yards off to a local quilt group who makes quilts for sick children in hospitals, etc., and I still have a lot. My only advice is keep your "stash" in one room, so you can have some control, and reorganize by color, or type - Christmas, fall, etc. The best way to get rid of a stash is to start making those quilts. Good luck. Marge D
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 PM

No-no. We don't need a show on us fabric hoarders, unless we can help you unload your fabric. ( he-he). I am a frabicolic. I love the feel and colors of fabric and since I can't make quilts faster than I can shop, I have become a hoarder. My husband is trying to make me go cold turkey, but instead he is making me into a secret shopper with new hiding places. And Then you will never guess what is happening. One of my favorite shops is going out of business. Monday is the first day of clearence. Guess who is going??? Me.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by vickyfortune
I am a fabric "ho" and I don't care.
LOL, me too! :lol: