Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by RDM
I appreciate your confession as it mirrors my passion for fabric. I love, love, love color and fabric is my medium, it feeds my soul as I create something useful and beautiful with it, often to be given away as a gift. I'm trying to not buy and use stash. What I hate is when I open an out of date fabric catalog and wish I had bought so much more. Your stash is nicely well organized. Thanks for making me reflect upon why fabric grabs me so.

My mom has has Primary Progressive MS and she has a passion for fabric and making quilts. Both her doctor and I think that making quilts is maybe one of the things keeping her from thinking about her disease so much. She truly loves going to the fabric shops and picking out new fabrics to go into a quilt. So I'll add on another room if it helps keep her with us longer. I do know it is keeping her hands and feet flexible.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 AM
SEW

hahahahahaha! I just finished organizing all my fabric this past week-end! What a job! Found a baby quilt top already to sandwich and quilt! Was kind of like Christmas, finding things I had forgotten about!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 AM

I agree. When I decide to clean up my mess I usually find stuff I had forgotten. Like Christmas in July! Love it! Then I forget about cleaning and either finish what I found or start something new. It's a never ending cycle but it keeps me out of the bars!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 AM

Well I don't know about anyone else, but you sound perfectly normal to me......
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Michael, any projects in mind to use up some of your stash?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:14 PM

All I can say is I have a LOT of fabric. I'm not quite sure I'd put myself in the hoarder catagory yet, but I bet some people would say I'm close. I have almost two whole walls full on shelves and several large boxes under my sewing table. I can't even put the leaf down if I wanted to. Not to mention the tubs scattered here and there. So I'm pretty sure you aren't a hoarder yet. But give it some time. You will get there.

Oh, and what about thread? That's another story.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:36 PM

My "hoarding" comes in phases. I had my 30s phase, civil war dear jane phase, now I am really into batik and kaffe fassett. Makes life fun. I still love all the fabrics and enjoy "visiting" them, especaially on rainy days like we are having here in Ohio.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Good idea! And thanks for reminding us to remember the troops overseas.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Not only the thread, but the rulers, the rotary cutting tools, the markers, etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Oh, Michael....I so so so understand where you're coming from....I have boxes of fabric in my dining room right now because there's no room in my studio and I just took over one of the guest rooms as a fabric pantry. Friday is my husband's last day at work and I just told myself this morning...."it's got to stop".....NOW!!! I'm 58 now and I'm beginning to think I could never sew up what I have now....why oh why do they have to keep making fabrics and why oh why do people have to keep selling them.....

If you find a cure please share.....otherwise....want to sell any of your fabrics?