Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils? >

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though so I find I have to go over them with something else more durable if the quilt is being handled alot like in DSM FMQ or HQ in a lap hoop or just mark as I go. But even with mark as I go, I am going over the marks again with my F&P Mechanical pencil. I have heard that Saral paper works just as well but have not yet got around to ordering any to try. Saral is the transfer paper often used in tole folkart painting. It comes in white and graphite. The cost is MUCH less than transdoodle.

I recently got another type of transfer paper on line but have not tested it yet either but I did notice it is much heavier than the transdoodle and the sheets are a much smaller size than transdoodle. This paper was also marketed to quilters so I am hoping it will work ok. It came in white, blue, yellow, pink.

I think the most important thing besides testing is to make sure the transfer paper has no wax content.
Dont !!!use sarla transfer paper. It has wax in it so it will not wash out like some fo the others.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Sandi, I'm confused...are you saying don't use the transoodle or the other paper that she got?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 AM

I bought the pounce pad and have used it on one of my quilts. It is kind of messy, and the chalk dust gets all over everything and makes me sneeze!! It seems to take a lot of "pouncing" to get the stencil marked and you have to either hold the stencil tight against the quilt or tape it down so the chalk line doesn't distort.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 AM

I have used the smooth tracing wheel alone to mark
grids. Use your ruler and the wheel. It works great
for that as I am to cheap to invest in a new walking
foot with the adjustible marking arm. No wories about
marks washing out. Brenda from Wadesville
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM

[quote=feline fanatic]There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though

I have HEARD but NEVER tried spraying hairspray on your chalk marks to keep them from wearing off till you wash your item. If you did use this method you would have to wash it after finishing. Heard it has to be aerosol, not pump type, it is too wet. Also heard the cheaper the better.
Robin in TX