Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils? >

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

Do you remember when we used to buy tracing paper (it came in red, blue, yellow, and white) and a tracing wheel? I'm wondering if this could be used on quilts to mark. Does it wash off?

If you have experience using this, please add to this thread. Enquiring minds want to know... :-D

I use stencils but am trying to find a faster way to mark.

And...how do you transfer your paper stencil patterns to your quilt? I have very old paper stencils printed on regular paper I want to use, but can't figure out a good way to do this.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

i use a pounce pad to mark stencil patterns on the top of a quilt- as for the tracing paper---sometimes it works ok===
ALWAYS TEST a small area of your project regardless of what you choose to use to mark with- just because something came off the last quilt does not mean it will come off the next one-
most of the time the tracing paper stuff does wash out, but better to check than ruin a whole top
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Mem, I'd never thought of using a tracing wheel for marking quilts. I used them all the time in clothing and never had a problem with marks showing. It must have washed out. I think it's time for some experiments.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

If my memory can go back that far, I remember in the 60's when I used this method it was in the seam allowance. However, with a quilt that is not the case. Like suggested, If you do this method check on a test fabric. Let us know what happens:)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though so I find I have to go over them with something else more durable if the quilt is being handled alot like in DSM FMQ or HQ in a lap hoop or just mark as I go. But even with mark as I go, I am going over the marks again with my F&P Mechanical pencil. I have heard that Saral paper works just as well but have not yet got around to ordering any to try. Saral is the transfer paper often used in tole folkart painting. It comes in white and graphite. The cost is MUCH less than transdoodle.

I recently got another type of transfer paper on line but have not tested it yet either but I did notice it is much heavier than the transdoodle and the sheets are a much smaller size than transdoodle. This paper was also marketed to quilters so I am hoping it will work ok. It came in white, blue, yellow, pink.

I think the most important thing besides testing is to make sure the transfer paper has no wax content.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though so I find I have to go over them with something else more durable if the quilt is being handled alot like in DSM FMQ or HQ in a lap hoop or just mark as I go. But even with mark as I go, I am going over the marks again with my F&P Mechanical pencil. I have heard that Saral paper works just as well but have not yet got around to ordering any to try. Saral is the transfer paper often used in tole folkart painting. It comes in white and graphite. The cost is MUCH less than transdoodle.

I recently got another type of transfer paper on line but have not tested it yet either but I did notice it is much heavier than the transdoodle and the sheets are a much smaller size than transdoodle. This paper was also marketed to quilters so I am hoping it will work ok. It came in white, blue, yellow, pink.

I think the most important thing besides testing is to make sure the transfer paper has no wax content.
Wow! I just went to the Saral website and they offer a free sample:

http://www.saralpaper.com/sample.html
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I have been thinking about using this method for the last couple of days. However, I think I'll watch this topic to see if there's more info on the Saral paper.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Has anyone used the Glad Press n Seal to mark quilting designs? Seemed to be popular a few years ago - before I was interested in quilting. Would like to know if someone has used this method...
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by texpat45
Has anyone used the Glad Press n Seal to mark quilting designs? Seemed to be popular a few years ago - before I was interested in quilting. Would like to know if someone has used this method...
I tried it and the markings on the GPnS poked through to the quilt and the GPnS did not stay put. I'd never do that again.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

If you already use stencils I don't see how the colored paper and tracing wheel can be faster.