Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 AM

What about a rug in the machine area just over one part to the carpet of a color that might make it easy to see the pins
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
It looks like pretty new carpet, I was wondering if there was a less drastic solution then taking it up. We're going to be putting a bit of money into other things in the house and I hate to add that much to it.
My sister in-law did stained glass work in one of her bedrooms which had carpet. She laid a clear heavy plastic down wall to wall over the carpet and it worked great keeping those small pieces of glass chards out of the carpet. It might work for pins and needles as well.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM

I may be different than everyone else with carpet in their sewing area. I sew in the living room and my sewing room where we have carpet. I sew barefooted all the time. Rarely, if ever, step on a needle or pin. I 'can' sew with shoes on but I prefer barefooted! :-D
Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 AM

I also have wall to wall carpeting in my sewing room. I use a large plastic mat under my chair and keep a telescopic magnet
handy to pick up droped pins, etc. I also have a small carpet sweeper which I bought years ago from Fuller Brush that I run over the area after I am finished sewing for the day. I usually use the vacummn once a week. I have a small dog and she spends time in my sewing room, so I always concerned for her safety.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 AM

I'd pull the carpet back and see whats underneath if its an older home there could already be a wood floor But a vynil floor cover isn't very expensive I did one for my Aunt about 1 1/2 yrs ago in a 20x24 kit/dining room it was 3/8 thick where there is daily wheel chair activity and she spent 196.54 it came with a warranty that the wheels would not hurt it and its beautiful and easy to clean and still is- I scrub it twice a wk
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

If your carpet is short nap or Berber buy yourself a fabric painters tarp. Spread it in the areas where you will be sewing and secure with furniture. I would diffiently put it entirely under my machine. It would be easy to take up if you need to clean in a hurry or just general cleaning.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM

I have a piece of the heavy office plastic under my sewing area and it works great. Be careful of the prickly things on the back of the sheet when you handle the sheet. They really hurt. It also makes it easy to roll on my chair.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Everywhere I piece and quilt has wall-to-wall carpet...I use an extendable magnet (supposed to be for mechanics) to collect the pins I can't see and I run the vacuum every day if I am in the living area (only at my daughter's home) or after each quilt is finished being quilted in my quilting loft. Works well for me.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I would go with an office chair mat, or a bamboo or other wood mat under your table. Works a treat for me when I choose to sew in the living room!
I TO HAVE CARPET IN MY SEWING ROOM AND HAVE OFFICE CHAIR MATS CUT TO FIT UNDER IRONING BOARD AND CUTTING TABLE AND SEWING MACHINE CHAIR, WORKS FOR NOW BUT WANT TO DO SOMETHING ELSE SOON, I STILL LOSE PINS IN THE CARPET BOY IS THAT HARD ON BARE FEET
Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 AM

I've been sewing in a room with carpet for 11 years and have never stepped on a needle or pin. I use an office chair mat under my sewing center and it's never been a problem---not even over by my design wall where I keep and use lots of other pins.

If you keep a neat area I would suggest trying the carpet.You won't have a problem. If you're a sloppy sewer perhaps the flooring would be better.