Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!   I need quilt questions >

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM

~~What are the dimensions of common fabric cuts (fat quarter; jelly rolls; layer cakes)?
Example: fat quarter = 18" x 21"

When instructions call for different kinds of cuts (fat quarters; jelly rolls; layer cakes), how can you convert into 44" bolt fabric?
Example: 4 fat quarters of a single color = 1 yard. So instead of $10 for 4 fat quarters(4x$2.50), I can spend $7 for 1 yard.

I come across patterns that I like, but to buy 16 fat quarter can get expensive (I have to keep my hobbies at a tight budget, if I wish to do them.) I know many patterns call for lots of differnt patterns/colors. I can convert them to only a few patterns/colors & save on with bolt cuts.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM

What is the best way/method.stitch to hand sew on a binding to finish your quilt so the stiches don't show.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 AM

I'd love to know the "standard size" for different size quilts ie lap, twin, queen, king and then how much backing I would need to purchase to cover these including the extra overhang allowance that long arm quilters like.

How to make applique circles look perfectly round without any points - mine seem to always have a little point at the end where I finish my circle

I love to pick colors but I know some are intimidated by the process - where to start when selecting fabrics for a particular project

Organizing ideas - Send help soon!!!

How to find time for finishing UFO's, WIP's or PhD's

Good Luck with your book!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
Quilting has its own language. I would like to know all the abrevations.. like OBW, and fat quater, etc. It would be nice to be able to have a place to go just for terms.
Boy am I with you on that one. I can make some of them out but definitely no all of them..Thanks for asking
Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Originally Posted by Cherylsea
What is the best way to cut a 96" border strip?!?!?
I'll tell you how NOT to do it. The last (only) time I did it I layed it out on my husbands shop floor and used a 12' long aluminum strip as a guide with heavy pieces of steel placed strategically along the strip to hold it down. Then I scooted along the floor and cut the fabric. Did one helluva number on that rotary cutting blade against the concrete floor let me tell you!!
Oh sheesh! What WERE you thinking? I'm not laughing at you, hopefully with you. I sort of did the same thing using a piece of scrap linoleum to cut on. :lol:
I am laughing at you and with you, I literally sat here and laughed til my eyes watered!!! Loved it, something I would have tried before reading on this forum!! :lol: :lol:
I am weeping, too! Hysterical story, TonnieLoree! Thanks for sharing!

Somewhere is your book, there should be an "oops" section and ways to correct the "oops"!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 AM

how does a quilter line up the fancy pieced backing to match up with the pieced top? I've seen some that are awesome and just can't quite do it.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM

OK! When I used to teach classes, I always offered ways to fix the oops! I even ripped out bad stitches for them, so they could get on with the sewing process.

I think I might offer a section on how to fix the oops, but I don't think cutting on concrete is one I can fix!
Maybe, I should start another thread, so I can write another book on quilting humor!
Judy
Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM

What are you feeling for when you say you like the feel of a fabric or you don't like the feel?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 PM

I to would like to know all the abbreviationsyou talk about. Ques: Explain what Feather weight machine is. Why are people going to great lengths to buy them?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM

i thought this was a dear abby site for quilters!
who would have thought that a 6"x24" ruler was 6 1/2"x24"? no wonder it never turns out right with a 1/4" seam.it was several months before i found out why.i don't trust any of them now.