Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!   I need quilt questions >

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

As a person who has sewn clothing most of her life, I found it quite a challenge when beginning to quilt. The first set of directions for a quilting project really sent me for a loop. I feel that the people who do quilting projects really should have a non-quilter read and try to follow their directions. This might help to eliminate some of the mishaps that often occur. Don't know how to word this as a question.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
What is the importance of cutting on the straight grain of fabric? Is it important? Am I missing out by not?
I'm afraid I'm going to get massacred by lots of folks for telling you this so I will just say that I tend to ignore straight grain when cutting; I square up the end and start cutting strips. I really don't worry about it and have never had a problem that I thought was related to this......
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM

When do you press seams open and when do you press them to one side? How do you decide which side to press them to?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
how does a quilter line up the fancy pieced backing to match up with the pieced top? I've seen some that are awesome and just can't quite do it.
I agree! A good quilting job is a difficult task by itself. But, when the quilting accentuates the beautiful front & lines up with the fancy back, I'm mystified!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm with the girl who can't seem to find one of the many seam rippers that she owns. I don't have that many but can't find one when I need it which is often. Any idea how we can keep track of the one that is the best one or any one for that matter!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM

A few more I thought of - how do you make perfect points when hand appliqueing doing needle turn?

How do I keep from having wavy borders even though I have measured and remeasured?

Is it better to piece a border than to cut long stretchy pieces?

How much quilting? A lot or a little? And how much is too little or too much?

Best way to build a stash - colors, different patterns and values, or designer groupings?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Why is 1/4 inch so important? If it is .3 or 1/3 or whatever, if that is the size of your foot... who cares? The final size may be off from the advertised size, but the quilt will all fit together. I've never been able to figure out why 1/4 is holy.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM

How about a list of common blocks with a picture to match? I know there's thousands but listing just the old faithful's would be nice. I see so many variations getting back to the basics might be helpful.
An explanation of what a bargello quilt is? And using Barb's tutorial - it's a great tool.
List of unique rulers available and possible quilt blocks they produce.
Making your own binding - how to cut it for the best flexibility and attaching another length to it properly!
Pillowcase finishing vs binding - pros and cons on both.
Needles - both hand & machine - the differences in all of them. (This is a book in itself)
Reading the end of a bolt of fabric - thread count, contents, wasing instructions, etc...
How to take a regular size block and make it a minature quilt.
Why you want to dust & (if necessary) oil your machines regularly and how to best do that.
Basic Erogonomics - a refresher to all and for newbies so they don't get stiff & sore and give up too soon.
Different techniques in art quilting - such as painting fabric, tea/coffee staining, coloring with crayons, pastel stains, tie dying, etc...
Use of embelishments - beads, yarns, feathers, silks, etc...
How about some suggestions on how to gracefully tell the Quilt Police to either be helpful or leave. Quilting should be a time of fun, relaxation and developing friendships with others.
Then there can always be a section of levity - where we share stories of how we easily justify adding to our own or our friends stash needs. I have never had to sneak it in but my hubby loves to hear how I justify the new additions. (wink)
Man oh man! Are you going to be busy but I'd be interested in the end results. Will continue to pass along ideas as them come along and hopefully I'm not repeating someone elses.
Have fun!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM

How do you handle a large piece of fabric say 2-4 yards that you want to start using
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

How do you avoid the "V" when cutting a strip the width of the fabric?