Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!   I need quilt questions >

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Help!!! I need quilt questions

Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM

How would you determine if a quilt needs a bias binding or a straight of fabric binding?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 PM

I love all of your questions! There are so many; it will take me a while to get to them! Thank you for being so patient with me. I think this will take more than 1 volume. If you would like a copy of this book or e-book, could you PM me, with your name and address. I'll save them. Thanks, Judy
Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM

I see one question that keeps coming up: Binding can be cut on the straight grain for all quilts that are not curved or round. The straight grain of the fabric has little stretch. When fabric is cut on the bias, it will allow you to bend or curve it.

That is another reason that you cut your fabric on the grain line. Except for triangles that will always have at least one bias edge, all other shapes should be cut on the straight grain.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Another question answered: When you cut a strip of fabric, and it's not cut quite straight, it will make a 'V' in the strip.

To keep this from happening: Fold your fabric so that the selvedge edges meet each other. If they don't quite match up, move them a little up or down, until it is laying very straight and flat.

Fold the folded edge over, so that it touches the selvedge edge and lays flat.

Now, take the largest ruler you own and lay on the new fold. Make sure that the markings on your ruler are even. If you do not own a large ruler (I use my 12 1/2" when the fabric will allow for it), you can lay another ruler under the one that you are cutting with, and line up the numbers on both rulers and hold your cutting ruler in that position. (This is what I am showing in the picture.)

Then, cut.

After several cuts, you need to check to make sure that the edge is still straight. We all move them slightly and that can change the cut again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-190824.jpe
Views:	57
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	190830  
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM

i really would like this question answered-when quilting do you always hide your threads? i tend to have so many, i just backstitch and then cut them low-will my quilt fall apart?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Yes, I have a question. Exactly where are all my seam rippers hiding? I promise I have at least 5 and I'm lucky to be able to find one when I need it. There's a seam ripper party going on somewhere in my studio that I was not invited to. :-)
Maybe I can help. Several years ago I found a website that featured quilter's tips. One of Mark Lipinski's tips that I found very helpful was to tape a pen cover or cap to a glue stick to the right side of your machine, just in front of your machine's wheel to hold your seam ripper. I've found that this works very well. I used a small double sided sticky pad to attach the cover and have found that I can even put on my machine's cover without having to remove it. Another of his tips was to attach a small suction cup with a hook to the same area to hang your snippers or scissors from. This also can remain when the cover is on. Haven't lost my scissors or seam ripper since.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Do you want questions about where to find certain patterns and pattern sizes.Like a 12"Gods eye?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
I do need help! I am in the process of writing an e-book (or book), sort of like a quilt encyclopedia and I need your input. I would like for you to ask me some questions that you have about quilting or fabric, or construction, about quilting styles and so on. I will try to answer your questions, and if I don't know, someone can help me out from the board. If we don't know the answer, I WILL find it for you. I'd like to hear from everyone that would like to help-beginner, a more seasoned quilter, someone thinking about quilting.

And here's the fun part: I may include your question in my book. If you want, I can use a first name and last initial or your boardname or no name.

Kind of like a "Dear Abby" for quilters.

Just so you know, I don't pretend to know it all! But, I know how to find things!!!!!

Thank you so much, Judy
How do you know what to charge somebody, when they ask you to make a quilt? :cry:
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 AM

I have trouble squareing up blocks. Can you help with that? Deenie
Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

quilt for fun Grandma
First quilt to enjoy it. Start on a simple pattern so you know you will get it finished. Then study the quilt books even the pictures and you will be successful. I have given lessons to many and that is why I call my group " quilt for fun."