Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around? >

What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM

I have no idea what my family says when I am not around. They all love what I make especially when it is for them. They used to hate it when we went shopping and had to go to a fabric store even when I was buying fabric to make them cloths. My sewing room is my kitchen so we have had to eat around the quilt pieces on the table or counter. I envy those of you who have a nice sewing room but my hubby never says anything when we have to move fabric to eat. He is very supportive.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Those who don't sew & have no clue as to my physical limitations say,"Wow! You could start a new business!". Family who know better just love the quilts I give them. I have recently been told by 2 DGD's & a Niece that they want to start quilting & I hope that in some small way, I've had a hand in that decision. :-)
Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

What cool comments!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I am crazy enough to cut up yardage only to put it back together.
Love that quote! Stealing it because....somewhere, somehow I am going to use it!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 AM

I have a supportive DH and he's the one that likes to show off my work and he's always interested in my current projects. The rest of my family could care less. I have wall hangings, runners, bed runners, etc all over the house and my SIL said "they're pretty but they should stay in the sewing room, not the rest of the house" so I know what she thinks.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Awww, what a neat story, I'll bet his mother would love to hear that story. I get teased a little by DH but when I'm working on something and he spontaneously says "wow, I like that one" I know he means it.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Kids loved the ones they got for Chistmas. Who cares about the rest?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM

It'sthe strangers that make me crazy when they tell me they want me to make them one--just like it's a one afternoon thing. I tell them they can't afford me.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM

DH is supportive. He bought me my sewing machine when the one I had broke when I first started this adventure. His hobbies are woodworking and hunting. Those aren't cheap hobbies either. He is supposed to be working on building me a sewing/quilting/serging cabinet. My stepdaughter asked that I make my GS a sailboat quilt. When I gave it to him she & her DH seemed genuinely appreciative of the work that went into it. DD#1 always says "Mom! again!" when I buy more fabric for another project but when she moved into her own appartment at college she asked when I was going to make her a quilt (which hasn't been made yet because she hasn't found the fabrics she wants yet! Picky) But she also wants me to make her some curtains. DD#2 is never at a loss for projects for me to take on. So I think that all of the family is very supportive and understanding. I just wish I didn't have to work so I could spend more time quilting and sewing. But then I wouldn't be able to support my habit if I didn't work either!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM

my late DH was proud of me. He considered it art and he bragged about what I was making so much I was afraid to give it to the person I was making it for...I just had to love him!