Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters >

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
We have found that our upstairs rooms similar to what you describe stays more comfortable using the giant attic fan than the AC. I have no idea what it cost to put in, but if you close everything else up and just open windows in a couple of rooms it will create enough breeze to cool just about anyone down.
I have found that in the heat of the summer, my giant attic fan only brings in the hot air from the outside and doesn't do anything to cool off my west-facing living room, bedroom and sewing room. So I feel just hot air blowing on me - it's miserable. The attic fan only works in the spring and fall when the outside air is cool (and I have a single-story house with no trees and direct sunlight from noon until the sun sets!), so I end up using the AC usually from May through mid-October. I really don't like hot humid weather and I really hate summer. Even with the AC set to 70, I've got fans throughout the house blowing air directly on me, even in bed at night. I sure do live in the wrong place. Pittsburgh is just awful in the summer!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Try a window unit air conditioner
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
When piecing I use a Clover mini-iron to press my seams; only turn the big iron on when absolutely necessary. I replaced my incandescent light bulbs with florescent (curly Q) bulbs. I didn't have to do it, but you might add foam insulation panels (about $7 each) inside your room against the outside walls. They are for insulation, but they make a great design wall/pin board/whatever board. Each sheet is 4x8 ft and you can install cabinets or shelves on top of them. That will accomplish the same thing as your AC guy is telling you to do, but won't break the bank.

The foam panel I bought for my design wall is white and came from Lowes.
Those are nice, and easy to handle....put one on the ceiling too.
If you line the inside of the wall with aluminum foil, ( so that the heat will reflect back from the interiors)- before you put the insulation on,it will be even more cooler.

Investigate all these panels at the building supply first.
If your roof is not white, consider roller painting it, to cut down 20% or more on the heat.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Try a swamp cooler. One puts water into it and the fan keeps everyone cooler. They used to cost about $50 but worth the investment.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 PM

My sewing room gets full afternoon sun. When it gets to where I can't bear it anymore, I nail this old blankets that are very dense and dark brown. No one can see them, because I have a big quilt on the window as my drapes. It helps keep my room cool, especially when we pass the 100 degree weather.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 PM

another idea is an awning,they have great how to vidoes on this site.
http://www.youtube.com/sailrite1
look for vidoes
[email protected]
sailriye.com
Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Dee

My sewing room is on the 3rd floor and I bought a air cond. for 149.00. Small but mighty. From Lowes. Does the job.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Best idea is the portable a/c unit. I think the have one that doesn't need venting outside, but you might check. I had looked at on at Home Depot sometime ago. A window unit is best if you can figure out how to install it. Tint the windows and put in some insulation if possible in the ceiling. Fans are almost a must even with A/C. But then, I'm in Florida where it gets way too hot!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Using a small window unit and blocking the rest of the window with plywood is probably your best bet. You can also add a fan in the doorway facing out of the room to pull the air through the room if needed. This can also help cool the rest of the house.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by carencake
Try a swamp cooler. One puts water into it and the fan keeps everyone cooler. They used to cost about $50 but worth the investment.
A swamp cooler is great in dry areas but in areas with high humidity they just make you more miserable.