Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It Never Fails >

It Never Fails

It Never Fails

Old 05-03-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I guess I'm lucky, my surgial menopause didn't alter my elephant size bladder.... ( I have to remind my self to go... other wise it would be twice a day trip... I know I know.. thats bad... just always been that way...)
OMG I wish I had your problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Gentle hugs from one "hard to get up off the floor" person to another....
Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM

Google Sharon Schambers. She has a method for basting a quilt of any size and keeps you off the floor. I feel your pain and have used this method several times now and love it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM

I would try the basting spray. Save your joints, and bladder.
Been there, so I feel for you. :?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM

check out the sandwiching and basting posts on the board. there are some good ones.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I finished a quilt top on Saturday and thought today would be the perfect day to pin baste it for quilting. It's larger than a queen but slightly smaller than a traditional king so I spread the backing out on my kitchen floor and set about the task of taping it down.

Of course, that means that once I got myself down to the floor, the phone rang. It also means that I've had to stand back up 3 or 4 times because my menopausal bladder decided that today it couldn't hold more than evaporation...soooo, that pot of coffee I drank this morning, thinking I would need it to accomplish this task, has made me leave the task more than I would like to. And that is killing my aching, arthritic joints.

The saddest part of all of this?? I'm only 28!!!!! I had surgery that brought about the menopause and the menopause brought about the arthritis.
Oh you dear girl. I feel for you. That's so unfair. I hope you will be able to find a life plan, like diet, exercise (tho it sounds like you are getting it! :l ) etc. that will help ease you. There are some great suggestions here about how to sandwich quilts without getting down on the floor. I have been able to afford to send mine out to be quilted, but I think that will change with the downturn in my income now.
So glad you are quilting. Having purpose helps. All the best. Happy Quilting.
PS Can't wait to see your finished quilt. Do post photos. Now Happy Quilting!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM

I've never tried this, but Sharon Shaumber shows a method of basting on her website that looks really interesting. You use 2 boards and you NEVER have to crawl around on the floor - or have it get messed up when you have to leave it. Anyone used this method??
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Check this out ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

This is Sharon Schamber's method of basting a quilt, using boards - no more ruined knees! This is a 2-part video, be sure to see the next one too!
I got this hint from the board a while back and would never try to put a quilt together any other way. I don't use the hand basting method, but I do use the straight pin method with pinmoors, and that works for me. The boards are very reasonable at the lumber yard and tuck behind a bedroom door when not in use. Sure beats crawling around on the floor. I sympathize with you on that one.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM

I have the same problem too and have had for years somedays I can't move standing straight up much less on the floor ugh. I have two folding tables from Costco's too and they are light weight enough that if hubby isn't here I can butt them up together myself to pin nice big work space. I also don't use masking tape when pulling my backing taut. Hubby bought me clamps that he found in a dollar bin at Alco's Store. He said you can get them at Harbor Freight too but not at a dollar a piece and that is how I stretch and clamp my backing to the tables nice and taut. Of course the all time best thing Hubby did was purchase me my "Lizzy" and although sometimes I revert back to pinning that is still my favorite way of quilting NO MORE PINNING!! He got me a Tin Lizzy in July I am sew lucky. Hope you get to feeling better soon but you really need to look into those tables to help you ease some pain and tension.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

I have the same problem too and have had for years somedays I can't move standing straight up much less on the floor ugh. I have two folding tables from Costco's too and they are light weight enough that if hubby isn't here I can butt them up together myself to pin nice big work space. I also don't use masking tape when pulling my backing taut. Hubby bought me clamps that he found in a dollar bin at Alco's Store. He said you can get them at Harbor Freight too but not at a dollar a piece and that is how I stretch and clamp my backing to the tables nice and taut. Of course the all time best thing Hubby did was purchase me my "Lizzy" and although sometimes I revert back to pinning that is still my favorite way of quilting NO MORE PINNING!! He got me a Tin Lizzy in July I am sew lucky. Hope you get to feeling better soon but you really need to look into those tables to help you ease some pain and tension.