Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:40 AM

I steam----but ladies, please tell me what the difference is between spraying and steaming??? Isn't the result the same???
Thanks, Kutnso
Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 AM

Is there something you could work on together? Keep your ears and eyes open, a project may arise that you could suggest it be a team effort. That way she may learn some of the tricks of quilting you already take for granted. Kits to do by herself may be a bit overwhelming at this time. Working together might spark her interest. And then it may show both of you that it isn't to be.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 AM

With some people, there's nothing you could do. If she doesn't enjoy it, it's just not going to work, regardless of what you say or do. I think, before pushing things at her to do, talk to her about it, see how she really feels, and then go from there. Offer to work with her on the first few things, if possible.
I have a feeling that if you just "give" her things to work on, she'll feel like she's being pushed, and may rebel. Maybe have a couple of hours time to set aside for the both of you to work on something together to get her started.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 AM

I'd give her a kit for pot holders. Nine patch, it's easy and quick and she gets a sense of accomplishment fast. Have the squares cut out for her and include backing and batting with the turn method so she doesn't have to do the binding. Pot holder in no time! Good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 AM

I would do something easy and quick so she has something to show for the effort quickly. My daughter made a quillow for her first project and she loved the sewing so much she has ventured into a little more sewing, but she does not have the time to spend much time sewing, but the interest is there. The young sometimes need instant gratification. If you have room maybe you can set up where you can both work on something. A class might be good for her to start. Maybe give a class in quilting for birthda? I think so few young people are into sewing (and cooking) because it is no longer taught in school for more than 6 weeks. No wonder people are overweight, they have notlearned how to cook healthy meals. Stepping off soap box now. Take care.
Linda
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 AM

I agree...."she either wants to or she doesn't" not much you can do about it. I have 2 sisters & 2 daughters & none of them are interested in any kind of sewing at all! I hate it.....here I have an $11,000.00 Bernina 830 & no one is interested!!!! (Not to mention my stash & tools!) :cry:
I feel so sad!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM

The more u push, the less likely she will be interested...maybe she's not the crafty type and doesn't want to hurt ur feelings..
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Honey, I think if she wants to start quilting, she will ask you. If she doesn't, there's not much you can do. My DD loves quilts, but only if Momma makes them, she's not interested in learning how to make her own.
I would just keep showing her the beautiful things you've done and maybe she'll get the itch.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Don't push her, if this issomething that she wants to do then she will. I have had a sewing machine since I was 10. Then when my grammie past I got hers, but it wasn't until about 4yrs ago that I started sewing. I had a friend who was working on a table runner that got my attention.

So give you DIL a little room and if its meant to be, it will take off. If not her then maybe a grandchild.

Good luck :-o :-o
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM

This is not something for everyone. My sisters and cousins are avid sewers, but only one cousin is a quilter, so out of seven of us there are only two quilters. One cousin can sew up drapes and slipcovers in no time flat, but she has no time for the accuracy needed in quilting. To each his/her own. Do not push!