Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM

I want to become more ornate with my hand quilting. Do I use transers for the designs since I cannot draw?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by calano1
I have pondered the following questions for almost a year now, and I still am not sure if I must or if I should leave it alone ...

How do I get this young lady to take some interest in quilting / sewing /needlework???

I would really like it if she takes an interest in quilting ... then I will have someone to leave all my sewing toys to!! hehehehe :) :lol: :wink:

But at the same time ...I don't want her to feel I am pushing her into something she doesn't want to do...
I would LOVE to inherit your stash!!! So fer pity's sake let her be, it's her loss... Just kidding. But seriously, you can't force her, but if you were to give her an adorable mug rug or lap quilt in her favorite colors, she might get the bug. Be patient, but accept that it may never happen.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM

I think we all have gifts, and if her gift isn't sewing or quilting, nothing you do will change that. She might try it to please you, but she might be miserable doing it.

You mentioned she does not use her time wisely. She might not think she uses her time unwisely at all. (In fact, I have had some people hint rather pointedly, that cutting fabric into little pieces and sewing them back together again is a very unwise use of time!)

IMHO - since you asked for the advice, offer the opportunity to her, and then let her decide.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Give her time...I have ALWAYS been avid about sewing, but, for many years, I was totally turned off by quilts and could not understand the passion for quilting at all! Over time, my attitudes began to change. My best friend, a quilter, gently encouraged but never pushed. If she had, it might have become a battle of wills. I am now hooked, and into it more deeply than my friend!!! Many times an event, like a baby on the way, motivates much more positively than the nagging of a mom or mother in law!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM

You make a good point about others seeing quilting as a waste of time. I got a good chuckle out of that. Thanks...I needed a laugh.
Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
I think we all have gifts, and if her gift isn't sewing or quilting, nothing you do will change that. She might try it to please you, but she might be miserable doing it.

You mentioned she does not use her time wisely. She might not think she uses her time unwisely at all. (In fact, I have had some people hint rather pointedly, that cutting fabric into little pieces and sewing them back together again is a very unwise use of time!)

IMHO - since you asked for the advice, offer the opportunity to her, and then let her decide.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM

I understand your frustration at wanting her to do something but my one daughter just likes to read everything in site except a pattern. My youngest daughter likes to paint no aghans or sewing let me do that. I think your best bet is to ask her to go shopping with you and would she mind stopping at the fabric store and maybe while your there she may she something in a kit she likes especially with the holidays coming and may get into but on her own. You can only offer help and when someone is ready they will usually ask you to help or hint around to you. good luck. Sue
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Maybe you should get her to sew first. Like Curtains for their place they work up fast and save money. Then let her find her way to quilting. Don't push to much.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

I'd say you have given her just enough already to stimulate her interest, should she have any. MIL's can easily be misunderstood. Be there for her should she decide to pursue making quilts. I'm sure she would know she has an expert to consult in you.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
I'm with nance-ell.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I totally agree with 'nance-ell'. The best way to make her NOT want to quilt is to keep suggesting it. Give her some space and let it be her idea. She may never be as enthusiatic as you are about quilting. Being a MIL is not always easy.