Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't even consider trying to get my DIL interesting in quilting. She wasn't raised learning needlework it seems. My DIL isn't a sewer either, but is creative in her own way. Before my DGD arrived DIL used to make cards. Now that she doesn't have much spare time around working part time (at a paying job) and being a full time Mom when she's at home I wouldn't even think of suggesting any craft thing.

If your DIL shows interest in needle work, try embroidery. Maybe she can learn to do red work blocksd which you could then put into a quilt.

But I would definitely not force the subject on her.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Quiltings not for everyone. I wouldn't force it on her because then she might get the wrong impression of you and it may cause unwanted tension between both of you and you don't want that. Just let her be and if she ever does show an interest then you can have fun.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Give her time, I sewed when I was younger and enjoyed that, but I put it aside for many years, then when my niece was about to be born I decided that I wanted to make her something special, so off to my LQS I went and it took me until she was 10 months old to finish it, since then, he is now 30, I have made more than 50 quilts for friends, family and myself, give her time, if she says she's interested, go for it, otherwise gift her with fun quilted items :D
Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

People have different likes and dislikes. I don't think there is anything to make someone want to do something they have no interest in. Just keep quilting around her. Maybe she will pick it up or want to make something. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 AM

I have the same problem my dil has never sewen at all so I got her a sewing machine & I'm taking some scraps of my material & everything else she may need to get started & I'm going to set down & we will do something together. She is really looking forward to me arriving so we can get started(I'm in Tx She's in Mn)We'll start with strip sewing so it will go fast & she can get the feel, Having never sewn before long strips are a good start then cut & sew again, hope there is little ripping Ha Ha after she is interested hopefully the rest will grow. working together should help hold her interest. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2011, 06:12 AM

I have the same problem my dil has never sewen at all so I got her a sewing machine & I'm taking some scraps of my material & everything else she may need to get started & I'm going to set down & we will do something together. She is really looking forward to me arriving so we can get started(I'm in Tx She's in Mn)We'll start with strip sewing so it will go fast & she can get the feel, Having never sewn before long strips are a good start then cut & sew again, hope there is little ripping Ha Ha after she is interested hopefully the rest will grow. working together should help hold her interest. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM

My daughter has problems with her eyesight, and although she loves to shop for fabric with me, and has tried, cannot sew. I end up creating quilts for her and for her to give to her friends, who are now getting married and having babies and treasure thinking about her as I do it.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
I think this says it all. You don't want to alienate her. The most you can do is talk about what you do and as nance-ell says she'll ask questions if she wants join in.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:28 PM

I think when she is ready to learn, she will approach you for help. Not a good thing to force someone to like what you like.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:24 PM

My DD enjoyed quilting with me while she was in N.J. for a visit. She mae a PP table topper. So I sent her a starter kit of rotary cutter, mat, and a ruler. I also encluded the PP pattern that she used and some fat quarters in the colors of her living room. To make a long story short, they are still sitting in her closet 2 yrs. later. She said it was more fun sewing with me than it is by herself. Young people like doing things with friends. So why don't you ask her if she would like to have a sewing afternoon with you. Spending time in your quilting area might just be inspiring to her.