Kitty that doesn't shed?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM

They are downright ugly!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
I am a kitty person and my experience has been some shed more than others and they don't come with a lable that say high or low shedding. Getting in the habit of combing your kitty every couple of days does help ever so much. I don't like the fur everywhere but I like having the companionship of the cat. So, I keep the cat and deal with the fur.
Agreed, I make time every day to brush someone (there is a rotation LOL) and it really helps. They (and I) also like the one-on-one bonding time.

Furminator = awesomeness in the extreme. One of my cats won't tolerate it so we use a hairbrush meant for people with her, but everyone else does just fine with it.

RE: Declawing - she didn't ask us about that so can we please stay on topic?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM

I had 4 cats a bobtail,a blue russian and a long haired black tabby, The tabby died of cancer, the russian no sight in one eye, the bobtail shes very small compaired to the others. Oh and a long haired siames. and i brush them all and what a job
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM

my friend who is allergic to cats but loves them breeds himalayans the hardly loose hairs and she can have them around so as tonkinese i have 3 all from rescues and they dont loose a lot of hairs :thumbup:
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM

we groom our long hair cats everyspring read have them shaved down after the frist time they get use to it but you still get the evil eye from them
Old 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Short hair! And brushing daily may help. We have 2 cats, one long haired, one short haired. The long hair needs to be brushed daily especially in the summer or she sheds like crazy and has hairballs, she sheds all year around. But our short haired cat sheds only when the weather starts to warm up-she gets brushed about once a week, it makes her so silky!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Bev

Quote/]I don't want to start an "issue" but declawing a cat is not like having your fingernails cut, it's more like having your fingers cut at the first joint. I feel very sorry for kitties that have had this done. They have no defenses so I've seen them develop bad biting habits since it's the only way they have of protecting themselves. I hope you will consider not doing it to your new kitty.[/quote]
I too, would not want to raise a hullabaloo about this, but just in case you aren't aware, de-clawing is very painful to the cat. Also my DD adopted a cat who had been de-clawed and now that she (the cat) is a senior citizen she suffers badly with arthritis in her front feet due to the de-clawing. She sort of hobbles around. Before anyone says it, I know this doesn't happen to every de-clawed cat.

8-)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Bev

[quote=BellaBoo]I used SoftPaws on my indoor cat. The softpaws work great and the cat doesn't mind them at all. I have the vet put them on all at one time and it's easy for me to replace one if it comes off. The first few weeks the cat will pull a few off but then gets tired of doing that. They can still scratch but do no harm to furniture or people. Perfect if you have a young child who wants to play with the cat. quote/]

Good idea!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Lyn

All of my cats were severely mistreated before I rescued them. I try to brush them but they are happier when they romp and play. I just got an all black 15yo that weighed 5 lbs., riddled with arthritis a few months ago, someone let him go. He has now gained 4 lbs and is king of the roost. Can't stop the shedding but instead of declawing get a scratching board.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
They are downright ugly!!!
I think they're cute. They look very soft, like they're wearing little flannel pjs.