Just wondering......

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM

My flights have been short, less than 3 hours at any time, but I did not like the "extra" time required to get to airport, go through security then wait for the flight to leave. Still, flying is easier than days on the road in a car. Now I have no choice as health conditions and lack of stamina preclude thinking of going anywhere, as much as I would like to see relatives and former haunts. Age catches up with us and health situations can change adversely, so each of you should consider going while you can -- to anywhere.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM

I don't mind flying, but will NOT get on a cruise ship.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM

DH and I are old enough to remember when commercial flying was FUN. It was comfortable, food was served, even if sometimes it was mystery meat, flight attendants were pleasant, you know. So we drive.

We love cruises and have from the very first, even tho it was an Atlantic crossing on the QEII right after the Falklands Island thing and the ship wasn't right mechanically. We still had a blast.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM

I love to fly.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Before 9/11 I used to have a repeated dream about an airplane crashing through my bedroom wall. I had this dream many times! The morning of 9/11, I was still in bed when my DIL called to tell me to turn the TV on. I totally freaked! I have not flown since and don't care if I ever do!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM

I used to be fearful of flying. Then my husband and I toured the Air and Space Museum in DC and our guide was a pilot for American. He was so good at explaingin how planes fly, turbulence, etc that I now have no more fear. It is a hassle to make sure your luggage isn't overweight, and that you don't have anything in your carryon that's not allowed. I do love getting to my destination quickly.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Oh i love to fly.I don't like being high on any thing but flying i love.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mile hi quilter
I was reading a thread on here, and a couple of people mentioned they wouldn't fly in an airplane..I am going on 52, and have never flown in a plane, just totally freaks me out.. hubby says I would love it... I beg to differ, LOL, keep thinking I could fly to Vegas or something, about an hour and 1/2 , if I hate it I can rent a car and drive home, alot of my friends can't understand how I can get on the back of harley but won't fly in an airplane.. just wondering how many have a fear of flying?
Trish
Statistically speaking, Airplanes are safer than cars on highways! I've been riding in airplanes, small and large, since I was about 7 years old. Met a Naval Aviator and married him shortly after I graduated from college. 2 years later, he went to work for Pan Am. I've travelled a LOT and never been in an airplane accident, but I've been in a car that was hit by another car (not our fault) 4 different times.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Ive never been on a plane!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by TShooters
Big time! I don't even like to get on a step stool. I have flown on airliners in the past, but I really have to give myself a talking to before boarding. No way I can sit by the window and see the plane leave the runway...much less feel it. And I will NOT fly longer than my bladder can stand. Not about to bounce around in the tiny bathroom on a plane in the air.

Hubby loves to fly (Air Force Vet), and says I'd love to fly in a small plane. NO WAY! If it's my time, I want a lot of people going with me! (J/K)
Aww what a sense of humor you have..."I want a lot of people going with me!" That made me giggle. I personally have never been in a plane, have no desire to get in a plane for many reasons, one being I don't feel like getting "molested" at security so I will just plop my bootie in our van and drive. So I guess I will never see Hawaii, Ireland, Switzerland or Scotland except on the Travel Channel. I have a fear of heights also. I cannot stand on a stool or a chair because I panic. I like the ground, it and I have become BEST FRIENDS over the past 50 years. :))