Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much >

Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much

Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much

Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 AM

I did the same thing with a baby quilt I made for my DS and DIL...It was a quilt made from my GS's first year clothes. I struggled for a long time with it and was so proud of myself on the way it turned out...Anyway, they said they were afraid they wouldn't get it back if I put it in a show.....It's on the GS's bed. which in the long run is what I made it for....I've never made a quilt that I thought was good enough for a show except that one....oh well....
Old 05-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I know that feeling. I made a special quilt for my Mom. She just recently died, and I thought of keeping the quilt, but decided I wanted her to always have it, so it is with her forever.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32383-1.htm

The pictures were taken before I did the binding.
What an adorable quilt!! I just love it -- Must have brought your mother many bright happy days full of smiles!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 PM

No wonder you want it back -- what a delightful fun creation!! Love it!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Thank you Laura3, RobertaMarie, and sewnserge. My Mom really loved her quilt, so I'm happy with my decision.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Yes. I made a quilt for my sister from batiks that were gold , turquoise, and purple. When I finished it my Husband loved it so much he told me if I gave it to my sister he would divorce me! Needless to say he didn't but I had to tell her the quilt almost caused a divorce!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Yes, I made a wall hanging of wolves that I gave to a co-worker. Thank goodness I took pictures of it because every time I think about it I regret that I gave it away.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Made one for my GD and I clean her house, find it not being looked after But as I have learnt on this board once it is given that is it. I have taken it home and washed it a couple of times, and would never say anything as it is hers. (still hurts a little )
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Yes, my mother's butterfly quilt, and pretty much every quilt I've made and given to someone else! LOL! Its the nature of a quilter I suppose!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Yes, there is one I would take back. It is the one below. Due to problems while trying to machine quilt, (for the first time) I used batting inside and fleece for the backing. I am sure you all know how well that worked out. NOT! In a panic, (last minute, of course,0 I put a tricot quilted robe fabric on the reverse, and tied it. :oops:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73306-1.htm

* (It was a 'design decision', really. lol!) It did turn out nice and cuddly, if she doesn't lose the baby in all that poof. They live on the North Pacific, so warm is a good thing.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Yes I've done that a couple of times. Made one for a wedding and loved it so much I made 4 more (for the grandkids when they grow up and get married) and several for my very much loved neighbor (who was like a Mom) and am very sorry to say I am getting those back. In the long run I'd rather have my friend.