Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future.... >

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Our local Walmart was just remodeled into a super Walmart. They do have a craft section in the store, however, they did not bring any fabric back into the store whether it was bolts or pre-cuts.

I asked the person who was working the craft section about fabric and was told that since we have a JoAnn's and Hancock's and a couple of local quilting shops they would not be bringing fabric back into the store.

These other stores were here when our local Walmart was selling fabric from bolts and the fabric section was always busy. So I think it's up to each individual manager to decide whether they're going have fabric in the store not. I think this local manager just doesn't want to be bothered with it.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Our WM has some bolts, fat quarters that are identical to the ones JoAnn's carry, jelly rolls, etc. The threads have been reduced to almost nothing and the notions are junky. They told us when we complained about the loss of a "good" fabric department that they enlarged the electronics department because that is where the money is....... They have lost a lot of my business. Some of their stuff is ok and some just is not. BUT, it is so much less expensive than the LQS where their fabrics start at $13.00 a yd.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM

I too, have purchased a lot of fabric at WM, the secret is just to be selective. Some of their prints are really pretty. My dime doesn't stretch as far as it used to either. We are both retired and raising a 13 year old. I have a stash but unfortunately, that doesn't last forever either. Ladies, we just have to hang in there. This too shall pass.....
Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
I stopped by a brand new Walmart in a neighboring town as i was passing through. I asked where the fabrics were, and they told me 'right after the craft stuff, next to electronics'.....and I found them.

Walmart did away with bolts, cutting tables, etc. They now have them pre-cut in 2yd bundles on cardboard, hanging like socks on a fixture. It's a super large fixture, but nonetheless hanging like socks! There wasn't anything larger than the 2yd cuts. And that included fleece!

The cotton fabric does appear to be better quality than they used to have, and the price is $7.97 per 2yd pack.

So WM did indeed keep their word with returning fabrics into their new stores, but with a strange new twist.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
our walmart has a wall of bolts in all colors and designs and prices are really good. Making my daughter a simple rail fence design with fabric I got there and it is really looking pretty. I just cannot afford $9.00 and 10.00 a yd, so I guess my quilts will be from Walmart, or Connectingtreads.com. :)
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
We had one Walmart superstore and they quit selling fabric - cant even get precuts etc. Then they opened another one on my end of town - still no fabric!!! I am totally upset!!! They also closed the fabric section in Fulton (where my daughter lives - about 30 miles out) I have written to them numerous times and dont even get a response!!! I have approached the managers in each store but to no avail!!! I used to find the same fabrics at Walmart that JoAnns had but for much less!!! Now I have to go to Columbia (about 40 miles one way) to even look at fabric!!! With the price of gas though sometimes its cheaper just to go to JoAnns with coupons in hand lol

I have found that Walmart, LQS and JoAnns all have some not so nice fabrics. Its just a buyer beware. Thats why I dont buy a lot online - like to feel fabric and hold up to lights etc.

OK I think I am done now :lol: thanks cheryl :thumbup:
I have bought from connectingthreads.com and Fabric.com and it has always been really nice and they send a little more than what I order.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 AM

My walmart here is chillicothe has pre cuts and bolts still. Even with the remodel going on I've not heard of it going. However, I have often went to JoAnn's to get my stuff cause walmart does not always keep someone in the fabrics to cut etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 AM

We have 2 Walmarts, one still has bolts and say they are not getting rid of it and the other one has the 2yd precuts I still prefer the bolts
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew 2
There are a lot of people that can't afford to run to the local QS, if one should exist in small areas, let alone pay the price that is charged. Wal Mart does have some good fabric, but a person has to watch what they are purchasing. I have purchased fabric at a QS that when I got it home had a flaw down the entire piece. So QSs don't always get the best fabric.
I agree on this, as I've also bought from quilt shop fabric, and it was thin & frayed. I guess I saw the price tag, location, and assumed it be ok. I should heave stuck with my "feel" test and not bought.

Business doesn't have to tell Management or Employee's all they have planned. They have responsibilities to employees (both directions), and it doesn't include their marketing strategy. Because a walmart worker or dept manager doesn't know (or is told not to share the information with the public), doesn't mean it's going the direction they "think".

From all the threads on this topic, I think Walmart is being smart & supportive to the area communities. Not just super stores, however they have the space. Not just large areas, because they usually do have options, quilt shops & chains like JoAnns. I believe Walmart to be a "good neighbor" business, they try to provide what the neighborhood needs. Garden centers are huge where gardening is in nearly every yard. Smaller plant center space in areas where the most land to garden is in pots on a balcony.

We could have a dozen Walmart complainers to the same location, however, population to number buying fabric for quilter, sewing or crafts. Is it a wise business move to provide the top selection to a small handful? Don't seem right to us, but they have responsibility to their share holders also. CEOs can be removed, if profits go down.
And I think Walmart in general, contributes huge to charity, helps employ those who no other business will bring in, offers a very wide selection at very reasonable prices compared to most in America...compare to a hardware store, lower end furniture store, rugs, linens, clothing. No, your not buying Macy line at Walmart prices, but be realistic. You are being offered what the clientel of Walmart (or Target or Kmart) needs, reasonable quality, variety, and good prices for the avg middle class & lower class or fixed income. If we had unlimited spending in our pocket, those high prices at a Quilt Shop or NemonMarcus (sp?we dont' have one) or Macy's wouldn't be any question. I'm thankful Walmart is available, even at 50 miles away. I'm thankful to be able to buy groceries, diapers, car oil, slippers, and fabrics at prices I can afford.
I have eyes & hands to compare what I'm looking at. Don't buy if it's not good enough. And don't complain if you have something offered in your price range. JoAnns fabric is usually the same, their coupons went from 50% to 40% with more exclusions. Hancock rarely has a good sale. And if I can afford the Quilt Shop price. I'd rather my money stretch further & be reasonable and buy a lower price..I can still look for the better fabric among the selections. We're stuck buying gas at about the same price any station. We're stuck buying groceries (walmart & Sam's Club does do somewhat better). I have to pay the price for utilities. But I don't have to pay the price for Fabric when I do have options (even online). Some are neccessities, some are wants that I can control.

I think it's not the quilt shop nor Walmart to blame for flawed or fraying fabric, but the mill. Perhaps we should be watching the mill at the end of the bolt, not blaming the store/shop. Notions I used to buy locally. But I find so many outlets on the internet, and even if I do pay shipping, it's far cheeper to my door, than my driving 100 mile round trip to our nearest larger community with a Walmart, JoAnns, or quilt shops. I believe Walmart is the only place you can return a cut piece of fabric because you found a flaw. Locally, quilt shops say, all sales final, view your fabric as we unroll it to cut. Sorry, often I'm looking for the rest of my purchase while she's cutting, and guess I believed if they where honest, they'd cut off where it's flawed, and find the next stretch that was good to sell me.
Or at the least, point it out, and offer me a HUGE discount to take flawed fabric. Walmart will cut away bad sections.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 AM

I prefer yardage. Sometimes you need the length and two yards wouldnt work. I was in Ohio about a month ago and got to visit a Hobby Lobby...I loved it. Jealous of those of you have them in your states.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 AM

stevendebbie25

Very well said, you put into words my thoughts exactly. Thank you.
Sue