Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!! >

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by redkimba
Then you go find a squirrel in a tree, He will see you in your big hat and say "Eeek" and run around the back of the tree. You go back of the tree and make noise, he will see you and rush back to the other side of the tree. You take off hat and put it on a bush, then rush back to the other side of the tree. Squirrel will see you there and rush to back of tree, see the hat and think you beat him there and rush back to your side of the tree. Shoot squirrel and remove insides, skin and wrap in plastic, take home and cook.
LOL - I live in the city. If I did that, my neighbors would think I'm crazier than they had originally thought. I will just lean out my door to make sure I have a clear & clean shot. (and why I will learn to use a slingshot)
Me too! i asked my husband to get the shot gun out for me,and what i was gonna do with it..(he has hid it from me now!) the squirrels were driving me nuts..and my dogs..they are so bold they sit on the wire and chatter at my JRT's, which causes them to bark like crazy! i am sure the neighbors would rather shoot my dogs! when the squirrels are around, i bring the dogs in..! my neighbor has fed the dang squirrels before!
i am in the city..[/quote]

Where we used to live there was squirels. Dogs loved to chase them. One year a BIG one came to our house and set up camp. Didn't care, don't mind squirels but this one was chaseing my dogs!( I have dachshunds). This brassing, bold squirel kept going after the dogs. This lasted all summer, till we saw the squirel hanging from the power line. He got fried.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 AM

I bought one of those birdfeeders and my birds would not go under that bell shaped piece to eat. I ended up throwing it away.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM

All I want for Christmas is a B-B gun!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
I feel your pain - not only did we have problems with squirrels but the raccoons would visit at night! DH got a garden shepherd's crook and problem solved.
My bird feeders are on a shepherd's crook just like yours, found a squirrel-proof feeder online, and also suspended from the top of crook a "slinky", as squirrels just climbed up the post. Now t they stay away. Takes awhile to wind slinky around post, but worth it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM

We have one of those squirrel proof feeders also, but we outsmarted the squirrels because they were getting seeds they shouldn't have. Took several heavy washers and tied them on the bottom ledge so when the squirrels sit on the ledge it closes , but not to heavy for the birds. No more squirrels.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

We didn't have any squirrels until we planted oaks on our property, not I have way too many. But we did solve the feeder problem fairly easily: Home Depot sells a squirrel-proof feeder that never fails. Not sure how to add a pic, but i'll try. If it doesn't work, it's a long feeder with a cage, and has metal ivy leaves that cover the holes when the squirrel comes down on the top. The whole frame slides down, covers the holes, and you have one frustrated squirrel. They don't even bother trying any more. Now if I could only get rid of the grackles! They can empty a full feeder in an hour.

OK, this didn't work, so someone will have to tell me how to add a photo!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Looks interesting. We have two different kinds of squirrel proof feeders. One is called the Yankee Flipper. When an annimal is heavy enough it activates the mechanism and spins the base where the birds sits and sends the squirrel flying. Besides feeding the birds it is very entertaining.

We also have one that is more simple. The bases justs slides down and closes the holes where the feed is when an animal heavy enough gets on it. It really frustrates the squirrels. The top of the feeder is solid aluminum and it has teeth marks all over it from the squirrels trying to get into it.

Don't worry there is plenty for the squirrels to eat. We have so many pine trees. They have plenty of pine nuts to eat.

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
We didn't have any squirrels until we planted oaks on our property, not I have way too many. But we did solve the feeder problem fairly easily: Home Depot sells a squirrel-proof feeder that never fails. Not sure how to add a pic, but i'll try. If it doesn't work, it's a long feeder with a cage, and has metal ivy leaves that cover the holes when the squirrel comes down on the top. The whole frame slides down, covers the holes, and you have one frustrated squirrel. They don't even bother trying any more. Now if I could only get rid of the grackles! They can empty a full feeder in an hour.

OK, this didn't work, so someone will have to tell me how to add a photo!
Aha!! I figured it out. Here it is: sorry it's blurry, we have film on the window to keep the heat out, and it makes the photos blurry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-197758.jpe
Views:	80
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	197764  

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If I had that many squirrels looking for a hand-out, I would keep a hunting slingshot handy (and a recipe book for how to cook squirrel meat)...
------------------------------
Cook squirrels like rabbit. Neither one has that much fat on them.
To hunt Squirrels... My hillbilly uncles taught us to hunt squirrels. .first thing, get big hat. This is a must.

Then you go find a squirrel in a tree, He will see you in your big hat and say "Eeek" and run around the back of the tree. You go back of the tree and make noise, he will see you and rush back to the other side of the tree. You take off hat and put it on a bush, then rush back to the other side of the tree. Squirrel will see you there and rush to back of tree, see the hat and think you beat him there and rush back to your side of the tree. Shoot squirrel and remove insides, skin and wrap in plastic, take home and cook.[/quote]

I want you to know that your story has almost choked me with laughter. Always need a morning laugh.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Clever idea, I to am going to get one. Also have a problem with the squirrels taking stuffing out of my outside swing cushions. That really --------- me off.