Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
backaches at sewing machine >

backaches at sewing machine

backaches at sewing machine

Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Thanks for all the info! I have back problems anyways so thought I would only be able sew for small amts evEryday! Will try these! Have risers on back of machines. Will make rice bag for tummy! What do u put in backpack??
If you just want to try the idea and see if it helps you, maybe a bag of rice inside a well fitting for you small backpack... or go to the website someone listed above and see what they offer. And don't forget to try out placing a rice pack on your tummy for 15 -20 minutes an evening. Exercises your inner core muscles while all you do is breathe! It really works, but like any exercise it takes more than one time! Ha...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but it really does exercise your inner core muscles... all you have to do is keep breathing! As you breathe in and out, and your chest & tummy go up and down you are exercising! I learned about this while taking a pain management class at our local hospital. The class was developed by an RN, who has gone on to bigger things now since her methods are simple, doable, and actually help people!

You have to do it more than once, tho!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM

I use $1.00 door stops rubber ones under the back of my machine, you can then lean back a bit.
I get bad backaches, have tried stretching the back by laying on the floor, and take advil before it gets to bad.

Originally Posted by JulieTN
Blu? what is a lifter?
Julie
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM
KK

once you have the rice pack on your stomach - what do you do??? exercises??
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

My shoulders kill me. Like a giant knot. I get up to iron every time and my ironing board is pretty high. That helps a little.

The worst is when I quilt large sizes - the wrestling with the weight of the quilt in my little brother is major. I have a rice therapy bag I'll heat up and lay on my shoulders and sometimes even a hot shower. The heat really makes a difference for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 AM

Gee when you are going thru pain yourself, from something, you get to believing you are the only one this happens to. Amazingly it isn't!

The rice pack, door stoppers and foot pedal idea are going ito effect today! Then on the others if these do not get relief going. THANK YOU SOM UCH>

I finally decided if I do not have to machine quilt it, and want to machine quilted one... I have a friend who does nice longarm work. Her fee is sound, practical and I now do that. Those large quilts contain: over 12 yards of fabric, and the batting. If you sure the 80/20 batting imagine the weight! LONG ARM TIME

Once again, I never thought this would be such a timely post. But you all are helping many with your postings.

Quilted HUGS
Julie
Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
My Chiropractor taught me a good exercise called 'Static Back' lie on floor with your feet on a chair, knees bent 90deg, bottom right up against chair, extend arms to the side and rest palms upwards. Lie there for 15mins. It really helps the back/neck muscles to relax and seems to re-align the spine! Hope this helps!
YES - this works!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
Blu? what is a lifter?
Julie
Sometimes I use door stops! Put 2 or 3 under your machine in the back and they lift it up so you can see better(I am short). I don't have to bend as much but I am a bender. I even bend when I am cutting even though I use a table that is high. I take breaks every 45-60 minutes and this helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Make sure you take a break every hour and get up, walk around and stretch your shoulders and back.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 AM

I have one of those back weights and it does help, especially if you put it on, LOL. I used it for some time and maybe I conditioned myself to sit straighter with shoulders back instead of hunched forward, as I don't seem to have those aching shoulder and neck area pains anymore. I think I bought mine from Nancy's Notions.