Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space >

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Old 05-18-2011, 05:36 AM

I'd love to see picture also. I have a very small room too and my biggest challenge is how to story my fabric. I use the closet for coats and non-season items, so it doesn't leave much room for fabric.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 AM

I have 2 large totes and 2 shoe box type boxes for storage of projects, stash and scraps and I won't allow myself to collect any more than that. I store the lag totes under a daybed my husband built in my sewing room and the 2 sm totes on a bookshelf. I limit because 1) I don't want to tie up too much money in fabrics I may not like in the future and 2) We will be becoming snowbirds next year and i want to take quilting supplies with me 3) We may have to move to a smaller place when we're older.
I do have a couple rolls and some folded batting on the top shelf of my sewing room closet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-198599.jpe
Views:	170
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	198605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-198600.jpe
Views:	175
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	198606  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Wow, your husband must be a real doll to allow you to have so much space in the RV! Sounds like a real keeper!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Been a snowbird for many yrs and yes it is challenging ! This week looking for my pumpkin fabric to make casserole carrier and think the fabric is sitting in tote in Fl. while I am in Ontario. Don't collect a big stash like me .

I have 2 small areas but try to make list of what is where.
Keep basic notions at each place as it saves transporting. I have some thread/fabric that has travelled more miles than people. We bring 2 machines back and forth but belong to a group in south which helps when sandwiching.GOOD LUCK
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM

We downsized almost 5 years ago and are now in a 2 bed room condo. The second bedroom is for sewing and guests. We decided to get a murphy bed with cabinets (for stash) and bookcases on either side. So one wall has all that storage plus a bed for guests. When there are no guests, the closed bed looks like a paneled door. There is a fold down table on this door which serves as my cutting table. There's a good size closet, packed with more of my stash. My sewing cabinet sits either in the corner, or pulled out and used in front of the window. It has worked out very well. Good luck with your transition.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM

We have been snowbirds for six years now. I have been hauling my big, heavy embroidery machine with all its thread, etc. as well as a good supply of my fabric stash. This last trip I decided this was becoming too difficult. I realized I was not using the embroidery part of my machine as much as the quilting part. I decided I would leave the embroidery machine where I did that type of work the most. As a replacement, I purchased a featherweight that will work well on a small folding table. I loved the T.V. tray idea for an ironing board so will plan to do that also. I have always keep all the sewing necessities in an old satchel type purse that works perfect for keeping all the smaller things together. Also, I have organized the majority of my UFO's and fabric by putting my "projects" in clear XL zip lock bags. When it comes time to pack I will only bring the projects I plan to work on, not everything I own. My hubby will be so happy when he goes to pack the truck.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM

We use to travel around in a 35 foot fifthwheel. my husband made a table that had an addition that folded down in the trailor for space, that I could put outside in my screen room and I could set up there it was great to work outside when the weather was nice. I also made a pressing table out of the wooden tv tables that could be folded up and set out of the way. I also had one that I qlued a cutting mat to I could set them on both sides of me to work on or put them away. I had to put my fabric in tots no room for shelves. I don't know what you will be snowbirding in but study what space you have for everything that you will need. you have to be org. everything in it's place. then design around that. also it matters if you are going to do it full time or just in the summer what you carry etc. we were full time, its lots of fun.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM

How about one or two of those three-tied wire hanging baskets you can hang from the ceilinb? I would think they would be great for rotary cutters, small rulers, a pin cushion, etc. over the cutting area and other notions over your sewing machine.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM

[When I was spending summers in another state purchased a large fishing tackle box to carry all my needles,bobbins,scissors, seam ripper, thread...any other sewing notion I thought I would need for the summer worked very well for me.

quote=lots2do]Good Morning!
In a few years, if the plans materialize (so to speak), we will be snowbirds. I'll be loosing the spare room here and we'll be in a condo. My mind is already planning how I'll be able to use the smaller space we'll have. I've searched and read some old threads here but am interested in getting some new ideas.

One thing that I am glad about is that it'll force me to be neater. I think it's like that saying that nature abhores a vacuum. (Hope I spelled that right). Give me a space and I'll fill it right up. Also, as a friend reminded me at quilt group, I'll have two spaces to split my stuff into. It just won't be convenient to go get the things I forget so I'll have to really put thought into it.

So, bring it on. What are your ideas?
I appreciate your thoughts![/quote]
Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

I would absolutely love to see how a LA would fit into an RV or motorhome. PLEASE post pictures here if you decide you can do it!