Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Organization >

Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Your cats are something else! How funny! I keep my fabric folded on bookshelves and fat quarters stacked in pretty containers. I found some cast off plastic coated wire freezer baskets that are the perfect size for fat quarters. I have the white craft boxes from WalMart that look nice on a bookshelf that hold lots of notions. You can turn the drawers toward the wall when you leave your sewing room that will keep the cats from opening them. Unless they turn it around :lol: :lol: :lol:
It wouldn't suprise me if they did turn it around. The one thing I do love about the drawers is the fact that they are clear, so I can see what's inside from the sides. I'm actually running out of room in this thing. I've gotten all my fabric for free from a woman who's mother made 500+ quilts since the time she was 18, and she's now 92 years old. The daughter has been gathering all sorts of stuff for me, including tons of unused fabric and she's given it all to me free, thanks to freecycle.com, that's where I found the woman. :D :D :D
Old 04-01-2009, 02:42 PM

What smarty cats you have. I have four and none of them have figured out how to open drawers. One figured how to open a sliding door by bouncing on the handle from the dresser sitting next to it.
My fabric is stored on open shelves and plastic drawers. Some even hang on pant hangers.
My kitties do like to lay on everything from cutting table to ironing board to computer chair. But most of all they like quilts.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 PM

LOL

Lets hold all suggestions until after the next time, so we can be assured of a photo! ;-)

I picked up an antique leadlight cabinet for next to nothing a while ago, because all the glass was either broken or falling out. My darling partner put new glass in it, and fixed the doors, and it now holds a large portion of my stash. I love being able to see the colours through the glass, and have my favourites on the end I see first when I walk into the room.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM

I now have most of my fabrics in built-in white cabinets in my family room. I used to use bookshelves for most of it until we had a water leak last year, right over my fabrics, fortunately they did not get wet. Had a lot of repair and got these great cabinets. I also have a dozen of those 60 qt rubbermaid tubs, clear ones, in the garage. I love the clear cause I can see what's in them before I unstack them or open them up. My fat quarters and scraps are in a couple of those rubbermaid drawer cart thingies, which is probably what your cats can get into. Hope you find a good solution!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM

I use the Happy Zombie's technique to fold my fabric:

http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=124

here is a video of the technique:

http://tipnut.com/fabric-folding/

I went to TAP plastics and had plastic cut to the perfect size for my shelves for the template. The fabric is stacked in my open shelves and it looks terrific because it is folded so neatly!

Kanoelani

Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Giggle Giggle I could see my cats doing that. I use clear totes to store mine. It's the only way to keep the cats out. I still find them sleeping on the totes ( I'm sure hoping they will magically open )