Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut finger on rotatry cutter >

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Yep, nearly cut the corner off my left thumb a few years back. Now I make sure there are no fingers hanging over the edge of the ruler when I ZOOM up it!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scissorman
The problem with most rotary cutter brands is that they're really aren't safe to use. The blade guards don't automatically activate when you relax pressure on the cutter or mat. I've been in the business for a number of years selling scissors and rotary cutters, and there's only one brand that I really consider safe to use because it does just that. The guard activates when the pressure on the cutter is reduced, and you can even set the depth of cutter blade. It has three settings - light fabrics, lock and heavy fabrics.

Happy Scissoring,

Would you tell me the name of the cutter you are talking about? Thanks

Scissorman
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM

So very sorry to hear about your accident! :shock: :cry: I have not -- yet -- cut my finger with a rotary cutter, and I certainly hope I never do!!! :thumbdown:

Now the question I MUST ask is: did you bleed on the fabric??!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: I used to tease my students whenever they would cry, "Ouch! I just stuck my finger with the needle!!" My first response was, "Just DON'T bleed on the fabric!!!!" They always laughed, and they were less likely to dwell on their pin prick. :lol: It didn't take them too long to start saying the same thing to each other!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM

I just this morning got my fingernail down into the quick. At least that's all it was. :oops:
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM

when I was using my madoline in the kitchen to slice onions, I sliced the entire tip on my little finger, stood there in total disbelief....looked and found the piece, what was I thinking....glue it back on !!!! dumb, dumb, dumb........oh well I guess I didn't need it....
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

KAI Rotary Cutters are the brand name. The most popular size is the model RS- 45 which is a 45mm and it's also available in the RS - 60 which is a 60mm. Yes, I did a lot of research before choosing to sell this brand of cutter only in my online store. They are the safest cutter that I have come across, and they're made in Japan! There are a number of dangerous cutters are the marketplace today.

Happy Scissoring,
Scissorman
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I took a huge chunk from the end of my left index finger with a rotary cutter on Thanksgiving day 12 years ago. The drs. sewed it back. Looks a little funny, but there is sensation and it works.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM

I've never cut myself because I STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW
TO USE IT. I press with all my might and still half of the fabric isn't cut. About to give up.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM

yes, have even cut off a few nails - I prefer scissors
Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bisseau
Bought this the other day to help hold my ruler steady and hopefully prevent cutting accidents (had one small one). So far I like it but the jury is still out. At least I can use it near my bathtub to help me get in and out after my next knee replacement... Anyone else use these?

Gripper

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123792-1.htm
Please be careful about using it near your bathtub. According to The Gypsy Quilter, it isn't reliable enough to place all of your faith into using it for that purpose.