Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space >

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 AM

I wanted to use a murphy bed, but when I priced them I was shocked. Anyone know where to buy one that's reasonable, and has storage?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter
We downsized almost 5 years ago and are now in a 2 bed room condo. The second bedroom is for sewing and guests. We decided to get a murphy bed with cabinets (for stash) and bookcases on either side. So one wall has all that storage plus a bed for guests. When there are no guests, the closed bed looks like a paneled door. There is a fold down table on this door which serves as my cutting table. There's a good size closet, packed with more of my stash. My sewing cabinet sits either in the corner, or pulled out and used in front of the window. It has worked out very well. Good luck with your transition.
I looked at Murphy beds for what is now my " studio" or my former master bedroom in my 2 bedroom townhome. They were expensive and took up a lot of space.

I decided to go with a daybed but not get the trundle portion. So the area under the daybed has open plastic [toy] bins on wheels to hold my extras. I have a tall chest of drawers at one end of the daybed and a 2 drawer file cabinet at the other end.

I found lots of space.

However, I now have a HandiQuilter. so a friend made the table for it so that it stradles the daybed and the file cabinet, has locking wheels, and could hold a cow it is so sturdy. I can pull out the HQ when I want to and even put it on the far wall so that it stradles my embroidery machine table and my sewing cabinet.
Then I can use the daybed as a bed.

ali

Day bed in studio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200369[/ATTACH]

Daybed in studio with HQ over it and bins under it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200370[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200363.jpe
Views:	31
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	200369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200364.jpe
Views:	26
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	200370  
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
I decided to go with a daybed but not get the trundle portion. So the area under the daybed has open plastic toy bins on wheels to hold my extras. I have a tall chest of drawers at one end of the daybed and a 2 drawer file cabinet at the other end.
However, I now have a HandiQuilter. so a friend made the table for it so that it stradles the daybed and the file cabinet, has locking wheels, and could hold a cow it is so sturdy. I can pull out the HQ when I want to and even put it on the far wall so that it stradles my embroidery machine table and my sewing cabinet.
ali
I am amazed at how you squeezed so much in such a small space!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Wow, AliKat ...daybed/HQ is great.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Here in Fl it's hard to get enough space. I have a spare BR and I keep the fabric in the drawers and I also have a couple of tubs and a couple of those plastic bureau's. I want my hubby to put some extra shelfs in the computer room closet for extra space. I have to keep everything covered since I have a dust allergy. I try to control myself but the colors just come home and not enough time for all the projects. A couple tubs of yarn also to crochet. I love the fabric on the bookcase. Good Luck. Sue
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter
We downsized almost 5 years ago and are now in a 2 bed room condo. The second bedroom is for sewing and guests. We decided to get a murphy bed with cabinets (for stash) and bookcases on either side. So one wall has all that storage plus a bed for guests. When there are no guests, the closed bed looks like a paneled door. There is a fold down table on this door which serves as my cutting table. There's a good size closet, packed with more of my stash. My sewing cabinet sits either in the corner, or pulled out and used in front of the window. It has worked out very well. Good luck with your transition.
Sounds amazing! Is it possible for you to upload pictures of your room? You know how some of us love to dream and live vicariously :roll:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. It has really been helpful!