Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of quilting? >

Tired of quilting?

Tired of quilting?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
When Spring/Summer roll around, I seem to feel happy to put down my quilting and begin working outside in the gardens more. I love being outdoors. I think of quilting now as my colder weather activity and summer for out of doors type activities. This keeps it fresh and new for me. I rarely have time to quilt in the spring/summer, as I stay pretty busy outside the majority of the time. But, I did have to learn that it's OK to put it up for awhile, and when I get ready, it's all waiting on me - and I'm ever so happy to get back into it! Maybe you need a summer break?

Just my thoughts...
Debbie in Austin
I can't say it any better than Debbie... This is where I am now. Bill and I are building a Climbing rose arbor.. Big enough to sit under..I am painting in abt. an Hour.. I love the outside..my sewing and quilting will be waiting on me. I will be in yard for another couple of weeks before I get caught up.. Maybe a small garden,DH can only do it small now.. I am basically an outdoor person even though I love my sewing machine.. You just need a break..take it and enjoy the spring,summer weather...Just saying......
BillsBonBon
Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 AM

I don't quilt from about mid March to October. Therefore, I am on ready to get a quilt top started, and I always make sure I have a UFO top to put in the frame to quilt.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 AM

I just retired a year ago and am still sooo happy to have time to quilt. I'm sure there might be a time that I get burned out but I don't see it coming soon.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM

I sometimes get tired of sewing/quilting. That is when I take a break and read a book. The longest break I ever took was about four years. I didn't get rid of any of my stuff. I had no children at home and wasn't quilting yet, but making clothing for grandbabies. Now I no longer sew clothing, quilting takes up too much of my time!
D
Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Yes, indeed I do get tired of quilting. Especially after FMQ 3 king sized quilts in a row. When that happens, I crochet a project, knit a project, or just sew some 1 day projects. You will revive. God Bless
Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Yes. More so in the past 2 years. Maybe there just aren't any more quilts in me. When I finish the 4 I'm working on, I'm going to stop for a while. I'm even donating most of my fabrics and books to our Parish fundraiser rummage sale, and considering selling 3 of my machines. I must really be in a funk.
Nadine, I went through the same thing. After I had two brain anuerisms 2 years ago. I gave a lot of my things away. I helped beginner quilters start a stash. Plus gave away one of my sewing machines to a lady that couldn't afford one and wanted to make quilts.
I am now back to making quilts full force and teaching people to quilt. I have 5 people now learning from me. If you don't feel like quilting yourself maybe it will help to pass on what you know to others.
I posted some of my quilts on my facebook page and have had people ask me will you make me a quilt?I tell them no but I will teach you to quilt. They think that is such a neat idea that some have decided to do it. Some still want me to make them but when I tell them yeah but they won't like the price and I quote a price I know they can't ever afford they decide okay never mind.
So please don't give up completely.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 AM

Just a funny thought. I saw so many people posting today had pictures of sewing machines. I mentally heard. "Ladies start your engines" and hearing everyone reeving up their machines. :)
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM

I don't have enough time to ger tired of quilting. I have a large flower garden, we mow lots of lawn and rifht now I am painting some of our outdoor bldgs, which will take me just about all summer. I also crochet so quilting is a pleasure
when I get at it.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 AM

step away from those machines!!! They are irreplaceable. Take a break, do some knitting, read a lot, and just be.
When I was in a funk 2 yrs ago, I did some quilts for Quilts for Kids. They send the makings, all matched and cut. I just followed the instructions. It was therapy to just sew, no thinking required! I practiced free-motion on them, and they are so small (36 x 45) that they took very little time.
Consider this to bridge your burn-out.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

I take a break from quilting, perhaps a day or two depending. Laundry and housework get done on those off days