Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and eye strain >

Quilting and eye strain

Quilting and eye strain

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dd
Try a pair of those reading glasses from the drug store or WM. I have them all over the house. One in each tote bag for projects, one on the end table where I sit, one on the sewing machine, they are always handy but I only need them for certain things. You know seeing.lol
My daughter once worked part time in a bar and they even had a pair of "bar glasses" that people would ask for when they had trouble reading a menu, etc. : )

Is it worse in the evening when the light isn't as good? In addition to the eye check (which would be good to make sure your eye is healthy or that you are not getting cataracts), trying the readers, and taking "look at a distance" breaks; get a really good lamp that you can direct to shine right on your work. That makes a difference for me.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

yup that is about the age it happened to me as well. Started out I only needed them for fine work or really small font types. Now I can not read or sew or work on puter without glasses. Distance I am fine but anything close up forget it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

I had my eyes checked last year - ophthalmologist said they're fine, and encouraged me to keep doing things like hand stitching while I watch tv. He said having my eyes focus on something at a distance (such as the tv), then focus on something close-up (such as my handwork) keeps the "lens" and eye muscles flexible, and is good for keeping my healthy vision. Maybe you could set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes, and when it goes off, stop looking at your applique and focus on something across the room for a few minutes. If your headaches and blurred vision continue, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
It might not be quilting related. It might be age related. Just saying.
Ditto! Pick up some 1.25 cheaters and see if it helps. With anything, you should give your eyes a rest every so often by looking out in the distance....
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

My opthamalogist told me that by age 45 almost every single person needs some sort of eyeglasses. For years I used drugstore glasses. Suspect that is all you need. However if your head aches continue please see an opthamalogist for a thorough exam. And make sure you have very good lighting in your sewing area, not just the lighting on your machine. Another tip is to take breaks while you are sewing.
Kat
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Ditto to much of what has been said.
Though I highly recommend that you go to your optometrist of opthamologist for a proper review of your eyes. Self diagnosis is all too risky when it comes to your eye, IMHO.

You're doing a lot of intense work there, and if you're like me, will be watching really close at what's happening. Too, your focal point on the applique is probably a different distance than when you read or do computer work. Also, you may be adding strain due to the lighting (too little and/or too much and/or too bright).

I have different eyeglasses for when I am working at the computer, than when at the machine.

Cheaters/Readers are not always as simple as buying them OTC. Sometimes you need prisms or other prescription work, which would be beyond the OTC ones. The only ones I will use are the ones from the optometrist. They are of a better quality than those from the drug store, etc. and for extended use, you want quality!

Please make yourself an appointment and ensure you are doing the right thing for your eyes .... after all, you want to continue to quilt for many many years!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM

It's probably age related - I would try a magnifier on the machine. One of the few advantages of having worn glasses all my life is that my close-up vision is usually clear and sharp if I take my glasses off. So now if I want to hand sew and watch tv I use a lighted magnifier lamp...if I don't care what's on I just take my glasses off. :)

Janet
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM

My daughters are all at this stage now. One works for an eye doctor and says it is definitely age related - 40 is the magic line with most patients. You've done well to get to 47 without some help.
Cheaters may work, but an eye exam is always recommended if it's been a while. My doctor will tell people to go to the drugstore if cheaters are all that's needed.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Hate to tell you sweetie, but you're developing a "slow focus". It happens to all of us once we stop growin and start wearin out so to speak... Best thing to do is see an eye doctor. You will probably also find it much more difficult than in prior tests, as he's changing the lenses during the test. Which one is better A or B? Oooh I don't know - do that again... Until then, take more breaks, but I think you'll find that it's just gonna happen anyway. If you're reading a book and someone comes into the room and you look up (after quite a few minutes of reading) doesn't the same thing happen? I was a bookkeeper and I noticed it at first when an employee would come into my office and I had to look up from my little numbers. It took a while to adjust. Glasses help some, but the focus is still slow. And not to be contradictory, but my eye doctor says cheaters can hurt in the long run more than help because if you have astigmatism or something like that it can exacerbate the problem. So, please if you haven't been in a while - it's time to go see the eye doc.
Hugs to you,
Gayle
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
nab

To be on the safe side I would go get these symptoms checked out. I just had an eye exam on last Friday. There are things happening to my eyes that I would have never guessed. Rather safe than sorry. None of us want to loose our site. It is far too precious.