Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you stayed with your child when they had their first  child >

have you stayed with your child when they had their first child

have you stayed with your child when they had their first child

Old 05-25-2011, 06:31 AM

I went and stayed with my daughter for a week when she had my granddaughter. She loved it since I did all the cleaning and the cooking. It gave her time to be with the baby and recuperate a little. I spoiled her. Yes I did get time to play with the baby. My daughter and Son-in-law went out to a movie one night and I stayed home with the baby. I just held her the whole time. It was awsome.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM

I retired from my job and I am the live in babysitter I go home as often as I can but that hasn't been too much so far lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 AM

I spent a week with daughter and family after she had a C-section. I was there to care for the 5 year old and help with the house and cooking. I know it helped her to recover quicker. I would offer to do that and abide by their wishes.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 AM

By all means offer and see what happens. My grandma always came and stayed with me. The new parents may not need much assistance with the baby but they will appreciate the chores you can keep up for them.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by drdolly
My oldest DD and SIL asked before they had their first born if I would come and stay to help out. I was ready in a flash. My youngest DD and SIl asked if I would be in the delivery room so YEP, I was there. If they ask to be in the delivery room, it is the most exciting time and I also believe there is a different type of bond with that grandchild. I think each DD might have a difference in the way they want you to help out.
I have seen several of my GBs born and even a GGD and I think you are right about the bond. It is a beautiful thing to see a child born.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 AM

please don't wait to be asked. they may be waiting for you to offer. and you can never get that time back.
i was with my girl/dil when they gave birth and i am so glad i was there...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM

I have been with my DD when she has had all three of her children. When she had her little girl last June 14, I went a week earlier and helped her get the house cleaned and then stayed for a week and a half to help her get back on her feet. It was a great time for both of us and the baby to bond.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM

A little bit off the subject, but how about this. A friend and her husband have gone to babysit her two grandchildren. She has gone from the UK to Brazil where her Daughter and son in law live at the moment, so that daughter and son in law can go for a trip to Barbados. Definitely doting grandparents
Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 AM

Make the offer. My daughter was on complete bed rest the last month and I took care of her. I was there when my grandson was born. Helped out while he was in the hospital for the first month. My daughter and SIL said I was a great help.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 AM

I was with my daughter & her husband when they had their 1st daughter in March. It was exciting to see her born. I came back for a week after her husband went back to work. I did anything she wanted me to do so she could rest & bond with her daughter. I was able to enjoy the little bundle we call Amelia.