Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

• What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I have had so much fun reading these. Glad you shared them. Thanks
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

I made all my daughter's chemo hats (doo rags as she called them) out of t-shirts and scarves to match her outfits. She was only 27 for the first mastectomy and six years later the other one. After she was done with them, she gave them to the cancer unit at the hospital for others to have.
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
    Originally Posted by Homemother
    I made a Chinese dragon, one that was about 15 feet or so long, mounted on hoops and poles so that the kids could walk around with it and make it rhythmically swoop up and down. Lots and lots of scales. It turned out really well and I kept it!
    What was the occasion please?
    We, as homeschoolers, had a class on China a few years ago. The dragon was made to entertain the smaller children during a Chinese New Year party.
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
    dd

quilt-fanatic I'm so glad you started this topic. I think this has been the best topic I have read since I started on the board. Too much fun.lol
    Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 PM

I made a boat cover. It took up the whole room were I was sewing. Never again.
    Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 PM

I made a camo cover for my son's cam corder, even the flip out screen, so he could record out in the woods and no sun reflection. But he is always coming up with something, he thinks mom can make anything and she does give it a try..lol
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by applique
    Originally Posted by JudyMN
    Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Originally Posted by colwoods
    I made a tote bag out of a pair of jeans that my son had worn out the legs. I cut them off just below the zipper and used one of the legs to make the handles and sewed the zipper shut. He is a high school math teacher and frequently has to bring papers home to grade so the tote bag was perfect for that. He said he had a lot of fun with it.
    to date, I've probably made a 100 or so tote bags from pants, some from skirts. Could be more. I never kept count.
    I made a bocce ball bag from a pair of boy's Jeans. The balls fit in the legs and the top part. There is a handle for carrying. I added a zipper to close the top and keep the bocce balls in. Easy to carry to picnics!
    Pants stuffed with balls.....too funny and a great idea, but so funny!
    when in my younger days while playing softball . i made a bag to carry all of are bats and balls and face mask for the team it was made so good it lasted for years . Dottie Bug :thumbup: :lol:
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM

I had no child's high chair. Had seen on TV once that someone had made something from a bath towel to secure the baby in a regular dining chair. I followed their directions and made one. It works well. I say "works" because I'm still using it. The oldest grandchild is 17 (It was made for him.) and it's still being used. The last one to use it was the second great grandchild. 5 babies have use it so far

Another thing I made was a bag for my easel. I designed it like the bags used with the beach chairs that fold up and are stored in a bag with a strap to carry over the shoulder. Once the easel is unassembled, there are several long pieces that are difficult to keep together. I just slip them all into the bag and store standing in a corner or closet.
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
    I had no child's high chair. Had seen on TV once that someone had made something from a bath towel to secure the baby in a regular dining chair. I followed their directions and made one. It works well. I say "works" because I'm still using it. The oldest grandchild is 17 (It was made for him.) and it's still being used. The last one to use it was the second great grandchild. 5 babies have use it so far

Another thing I made was a bag for my easel. I designed it like the bags used with the beach chairs that fold up and are stored in a bag with a strap to carry over the shoulder. Once the easel is unassembled, there are several long pieces that are difficult to keep together. I just slip them all into the bag and store standing in a corner or closet.
    I would love to see a photo of your "highchair" or get directions to make one.
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
    I made a Chinese dragon, one that was about 15 feet or so long, mounted on hoops and poles so that the kids could walk around with it and make it rhythmically swoop up and down. Lots and lots of scales. It turned out really well and I kept it!
    What was the occasion please?
    We, as homeschoolers, had a class on China a few years ago. The dragon was made to entertain the smaller children during a Chinese New Year party.
    Very creative. Nicely made. Did you enjoy homeschooling? I bet the children did!