Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Not me but this lady quilts for others professionally on a home machine and she has done king size.

http://battsintheattic.blogspot.com/

I have done at least 5. It's not the easiest thing to do, but it can be accomplished.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM

I have but with my Mum holding the weight and bulk upto the machine, and then swapping over when she got tired. It wasn't that even but did the job!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I do all my quitling on my domestic machine....queen and king. The instructor at our LQS does some quilts on the LA but for her masterpieces (including king and queen) she prefers to do it on her domestic machine.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
My teacher in class tonight said it's about impossible to do this and that we would want to send it to a long arm. I don't want to have to do that. Has anyone quilted a king size bed quilt on their domestic machine?
Yes, I did the queen sized one for my bed on my Janome 6600. Just put a tv tray next to the sewing table (I sew in a 2x3 space), scrunched it up, put some on my lap and zipped away. Did a little bit at a time and it wasn't all that difficult.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM

We had an award winning machine quilter come to speak to our guild this week. Her name was Jean Lohmar. I was absolutely amazed that she did all of her quilting on a domestic machine. Her work was absolutely amazing.
Here is a link to a page on her website: http://www.heirloomsoftomorrow.net/i...es/Page312.htm
Look at the exquisite quilting on "String of Pearls."
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 AM

I have several quilt tops that are waiting to be quilted, but don't have the money to send them to LA. I don't have floor space, nor a large table to do the sandwiching or pinning/basting, but, I do have a LQS who will put it on her frame and sandwich, then baste for a $25 charge. I can then work on the fmq. Does that seem like a reasonable charge?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM

I have done 2 kings and 2 queens. It helps to have a good space set ip. I have a cabinet with a flush surface and arrange tables behind and to the left to hold the bulk. Planning the "route" will help manage the bulk to your advantage. You don't want to end up with more than 50% of the quilt in the machine space.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 AM

I did a 90 inch wide 100 long on my regular machine. I believe it was my Bernina 180 and all of the quilting was FMQ and non of it was SID. I started in the middle and stitched to the outside, then reversed the quilt and started in the middle again and moved to the outside. It take some manipulation, but it can be done and look very pretty
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I have several quilt tops that are waiting to be quilted, but don't have the money to send them to LA. I don't have floor space, nor a large table to do the sandwiching or pinning/basting, but, I do have a LQS who will put it on her frame and sandwich, then baste for a $25 charge. I can then work on the fmq. Does that seem like a reasonable charge?
I would jump on this in a heartbeat! Just try one to start - if the quilt is smooth and even and the stitching is easy to remove, then you can take the stack in to her. :) How I would LOVE this option!

If a long-armer has the zipper leads, seems like it would be a good service to offer because it's pretty fast - you could fit basting jobs in between other jobs.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM

The t-shirt quilt I made for my DDIL was done on my 90 year old Singer 66. I used a template to mark music treble clef designs all over, and free motion sewed them. My embroidery machine was used to add a repeated small musical score on the border.