Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM

I finished a queen size crumb quilt just last month. I found the best way to quilt it using a domestic machine is to free motion quilt it!!!

Good luck with it!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM

I did and blew out my shoulder from all the rolling, turning, pushing, pulling. I now have a long arm which makes it 1000 times easier. If you don't want custom quilting you may be able to find someone in your area that will do a large stipple that would end up being priced better. I'm in PA and do quilts anywhere from $0.01 per sq. inch to $0.06 per sq. inch for custom feathering work.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
Has anyone quilted a king size bed quilt on their domestic machine?
I don't do anything fancy when I quilt but I have quilted an abnormally large sized quilt with my Brother NX-450Q. See the picture below for how I managed all the yardage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-203004.jpe
Views:	112
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	203010  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM

I do all my quilting on a Janome 6600 - including this one
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62514-1.htm
which is 96 ins square.
I dont have a big fancy sewing room, its very small, but have a table behind the Janome (set-in) table, and to the left hand side, to support the weight of the quilt while working.
I do all my fmq freehand, no marking. This is the biggest I've done but have done two large double bed size as well.
I dont roll the quilt, just "puddle" around the machine bed - work from the middle out to each corner then turn 45 degrees and work again out to next corner.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

It's not impossible to machine quilt queen and king quilts on a domestic machine. Believe it or not, my first completely machine quilted quilt was an over-sized king size - nobody told me it was "impossible", so I just did it. You just need to do a lot of rolling and bunching, beginning in the middle and working outward. I've mainly done stitch in the ditch, but you have to start somewhere. You also need to pin-baste generously, using your fist for a guide (about every 4 -5 inches apart), as this cuts down on puckers on the back. I also use cotton batting, as it "clings" to the front and back of the quilt. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM

I did this queen quilt on my Singer Confidence Quilter:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-77903-1.htm

Always start in the center and work your way out to the corners then the edges inbetween. The challenge is in cramming half a quilt inside the throat of the machine. Don't roll it up, just kind of accordion it in there - a huge roll is much more difficult to deal with, believe it or not. Also, make sure you have plenty of table space behind your sewing machine - I got a small 2'x4' table from Walmart and it worked fine. I also moved my dining table alongside my left side where it butted up against my sewing table to accommodate the weight of the quilt. It's tricky, but it can be done.

Oh, and this was my first large quilt to be done, and my parents LOVE IT! They toted it around and showed everyone when they got it, even brought it with them when they traveled for Christmas to show it off. I was really proud! Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM

After reading some of the other comments, I wanted to add that I SID around each block, then traced and FMQ within the blocks. I didn't do an allover quilting design, although I have done stippling on my Singer. I just got a quilt frame and need to play with it....after finishing my fifteen thousand other projects with impending deadlines, that is!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM

I do all the time, but I have a Pfaff with a 10 inch throat. I use the "puddle" method.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I have always quilted all my quilts on my singer(stitch in the ditch) even though I have a quiling machine.I have never used it because I am intimidated by it.lol
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM

The largest quilt I have done was the green and white quilt I made for my DS and DDIL as a wedding gift. It was 106" square and (silly me) I used extra high loft poly batting! The very center of the quilt was a little hard to manage. I just had to go slow and take time to move it when needed. Once you get the very center done, it's not bad at all!

Here is a picture of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-203245.jpe
Views:	111
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	203251