Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 PM

What fun reading all this.....I'm 56 and my blond hair is a little past the middle of my back. It's not getting thin or dry as I get older. It's actually growing faster and has more wave now that I'm past menopause. I pull it up or in a ponytail when cooking, cleaning, at work or when I feel I want to. I braid it fairly often too. I like long hair on me. I want to be one of those old ladies with the long gray braid!! To each his (or her) own.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 PM

I am 56 and I am sitting here with my hair in a long ponytail. I also still refuse to let it go grey.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM

We should all submit a photo of us so others can see how wonderful our hairdo's are!!! I have a client who does hair extensions. Not sure how much that runs, but she said that her new client said, "You realize that if I go with you, it will cost be $1500/year MORE" My hair probably looks like great hair extensions, but, as stated by the hairdresser, "But yours is FREE!"
When I turned 40, I went to my hairdresser, and said I needed to cut it short. Of course, I absolutely didn't want to. I was so relieved when he said I could grow my hair to the floor. Fooey on that old addage of short hair.....grow it as long as you want to!!! (I use three boxes of haircolor though!!!)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM

When I was 29 I still had fairly long hair halfway down my back. At 30 I suddenly decided, what was I thinking?, that it was time to have shorter hair because 'older' women shouldn't have long hair. Yeah, like 30 is old. But that's what I thought so I cut it all off and for the next 27 years my hair was short in that Dorothy Hamill style. I had been coloring since I was 18 and I didn't want to spend a lot of time with curlers or fancy styles. I just wanted Wash and Wear Blow and Go. Last August I suddenly thought it was time to try long hair again and I started to let it grow -- until last week. I reached that one day when I was just tired of it--too much work even keeping it up. Back to the short style again. Just a hair longer than the old style but still bottom of my jawline. Back to comfy, easy to take care of hair.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM

My hair is short becasue I get headaches if I let it get long (it is very thick). I had a doctor tell me to cut my hair once and when I start getting headaches off for a hair cut I go. I think everyone should wear their hair the way THEY want it. My husband like his longer and that fine.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM

I look better with a good layered cut and I keep the length to the base of my neck. I've just always felt better with either neck or just to the shoulder length hair.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Power Poster

It was mentioned that someone wouldn't ask their husband anything about their hair. I knew my late husband loved my long hair because he would tell me how beautiful it was. It wasn't a matter of ASKING him what to do. A few years before he died another car ran me off of the road. I was either in a longarm cast or shortarm cast for the entire summer. My late husband washed, brushed, and put my hair in either a pony tail or braid that entire summer.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
I am 60. My hair is very long, but I always keep it up in back. For me, it's just less of a bother to twist it up than to fuss with blow-drying, or curling, or regular trims. No one has seen me with my hair down in years. I figure that by the time you reach my age, you can wear your hair however the heck you like it.
I couldn't agree more! I have had hair I could sit on since I was 9 years old. I am used to what I can do with it, up or down. I am not one to fuss over my hair & don't curl or dye it. If I cut it short, I would have to spend time on it more every day; it is less work long. I always like to have it up when I am working.
I recently cut 14" off & it is now at my waist. My husband likes long hair & doesn't want me to cut it, even though I am getting a few gray streaks. I have fond memories of my elders & friends with the long gray braids wrapped around their heads in their 80's & 90's. I remember telling the women when I was about age 5, "I want to grow up to be just like you with the beautiful braids". They all laughed. I think that memory has been a big part of my desire to keep my long hair.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
My hairdresser says that when the day comes, she will let me know and I will have to cut my hair short. LOL!! YIKES! :) I think its preference tho...
I would never let my hairdresser "let me know" when "I will have to" cut my hair! They are by nature hair-cutting addicts, who either like the process of designing your hair into a style, or want the money for your more frequent visits to keep up "the style".
When I was in college, about 40 girls in my dorm used to come down to my room & ask for a trim; where did they get the idea I had any knowledge of cutting hair? They said they knew I wouldn't cut too much, since I had such long hair; and I didn't! I did get a lot of experience doing trims, though none were short or styled.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I am 54 and refuse to give in to the "tight perm and short cut" school of thinking. It is chin length right now, don't like it longer, the bottom part gets too thin.
DS got gray earlier than me (she is older) and had long, straight coarse hair parted in the middle, from age 12 to about 50. I asked her why she did it, she said, "I saw a picture of myself and I looked like a witch."
I love this at Halloween, I make a great witch to answer the door! I don't look spooky though, no makeup, just the long hair, now graying.