Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 AM

My first baby quilt was made out of dlb knits leftover from my grandmother clothes she made herself for yrs ... but i use small 2 in. block and use flannel backing..and the quilt is now 33 yrs old and son still have it ,it a matter of not streching while sewing ect,,, I love it! Have a go at it,, if all else fail make clothes Never turn away free materials alway a use for it ,like church play, school ,, dress up for small children ect hope this help gl
Old 05-30-2011, 04:18 AM

I have two made by my Aunt in the 70's, one is backed w/double knit and will NOT stay on the bed, I'd use flannel or a sheet for backing to see if that helped! Use them to make charity quilts, there is always someone who needs to be warm. Waste not want not ... but then I'm OLDer than dirt!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Holice
in the 1960's and 70's a lot of quilts were made of double knit. Colors stay bright and they wear like iron. I would not use denim for backing as it would make them heavier and for me harder to work with.
Probably good use for charity quilts. Check out a group that makes "Ugly Quilts" I guess it is still around. That program made sleeping bags for the homeless. They did have a web site.
"Ugly Quilts"; made me laugh.
That is My Brother's Keeper"
Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
A doubleknit quilt is probably one of the nicest things to give to someone who will give it a lot of rough use (truck drivers, hunters, homeless). The fabric is tough enough to withstand anything you can do to it. It also will keep in warmth. You don't need a heavy batting. The material is practically indestructible and will really keep someone warm.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Our quilting group quilts for others. We are currently swearing at, I mean, working on a quilt that is double knit, sashed with cotton and batted and backed in the usual way. It is a nightmare to hand quilt. If you decide to use double knit, just use two layers of it, do not use a batting, and whatever you do, do not hand quilt it. Just tie it, or better yet, make a rag quilt as you go.

Been there, done that.
HMMMM--the stretchy double knits make you swear????? How odd (hee, hee, hee!)
I have often told the quilt snobs you are not a quilter till you can deal with double kits and the stretch..... :roll:
I call them the true test of a quilter! But I do not mix them with cottons....at least haven't yet....
I got the "you are not a quilter if you make poly knit quilts" attitude....but I make hundreds for charity quilts cause they cannot be hurt--unless you burn them!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM

What is birthing as opposed to binding? I have never heard that term.

Rose Ella
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM

one local guild makes HOMELESS QUILTS from dbl knits they feel they're very warm & almost indestructable! they stand up on the streets!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned

I use double knit for my pincushions.
It's the only fabric I would use on these because you need the stretch.

polkadot pincushion made with double knit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204170[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204164.jpe
Views:	131
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	204170  
Old 05-30-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rosella
What is birthing as opposed to binding? I have never heard that term.

Rose Ella
that is when you put right sides together, sew around the sandwich , leaving an "opening" to turn it, then turn inside out and stitch the opening shut....
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 AM

My grandmother made just about every quilt out of double knit material. She made one for my high school graduation and I have had to replace the flannel back but never the double knit top.