Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big spools of thread ...dumb question? >

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 AM

be careful of the type of thread on large spools. sometimes it is serger thread and shouldn't be used in place of regular thread.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 AM

It depends on the type of thread you're using....like embroidery thread are not for FW? I seemed to think cotton thread are for regular machine whereas sergers thread are for Sergers and embroidery for embroidery machine OR am i wrong?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 AM

Those big cones are designed for sergers but as long as the thread unwinds from the top and not from the side the thread will come off as designed. I use them all the time. I also heard that to freshen them up (if they are getting old) you put them in plastic bag and place in the freezer. Haven't tried it yet, but that is what I heard.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 AM

I use a mug or CD holder and you can tape a safety pin for your guide to your machine.
Happy stitching!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
You can buy an adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-R-Cone-T.../dp/B0019KDYL2

And there was talk recently here about a little machine where you can rewind the thread from cones onto spools so it's easily usable on your domestic machine. The name is right at the tip of my tongue ......?!??!?!?

Some people just put the cone in a mug behind the machine - I've had limited success with that method.

eta: Found it - the EZ Winder Kit
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=7349
Here's the recent thread (hehehe):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115374-1.htm
The cone thread holder that dritz sells isn't a good one, the whole thing is plastic and over time the long rod bends over. You want a stand that is all metal. The cones of serger thread aren't meant for regular sewing of clothing,quilts etc..
Old 06-01-2011, 04:06 AM

There are many different types of thread on the large spools, so yes, make sure you get what you want to use in your sewing. As far as having to stop and wind bobbins, I would suggest to some of you out there to try prewound bobbins. I know they sound expensive but they hold a great deal more thread on them than a bobbin you wind at home. Take a look at the Superior Thread web site. There is a wealth of information on this site.
Happy Sewing!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I put mine in a coffee cup and just set it behind my machine, works perfectly!
me too! If it is a cone and will stand on its own just set it behind the machine.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Yes, I made a cone holder out of a block of wood and a dowel rod. You can also buy these. The bought ones are fancy and pretty, mine is plain and simple.:)
My husband made one for me and there is a picture of it somewhere here on the board. I have a Husquavarna also and must leave the top up to accomodate the thread coming across but I love it. I may have to do bobbins but rarely have to rethread my machine.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 AM

I am in total agreement with purplefiend above...

Get the thread stand, but get a metal one...they are cheap...like $8...and don't create the static electricity that the plastic one will.

I love my big cones...

Julie
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM

Just be sure that the thread is not meant for the serger as the thread is only a 2 ply twist instead of 3 ply as standard thread is. Also you do not need anything special for your machine just set the thread in front of the machine and turn on of your spool pins in the upright position and lay the thread over it and then thread as normal and you will not have any problems. Also in case you do not know it you can wind a bobbin without unthreading the needle on the Viking 750.

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?