Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine? >

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 AM

I learned to sew on an old White treadle machine. Dad traded a hog for it.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:36 AM

I learnt on a old singr treadle, started when I was about 10 years old ............dont think I have ever gone more than a couple od days without sewing since I am now in my sixties ....and still love it .
Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 AM

I learned on my grandmothers Singer. I was 10 and wanted new curtains for my bedroom, she bought the material and away I went. Made most of my children's clothes, suits for my husand and many formals for Jobs and Rainbows. I really perfer tailored patterns, but the frills are ok too.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Would you believe I never touched a sewing machine until I was 24????
True, but haven't stopped since :)
Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 AM

I recently pieced a flannel quilt on my grandmother's treadle. It worked great. She said the electric machines went too fast. Mostly she pieced by hand, but would use the treadle to make aprons. All of her quilting was in overlapping fan designs. She would use her thumb and fingers to lay them out.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM

When I was small I would push the tredle while my mother sewed. when I got bigger she would let me sew some. I have that machine now. My mother passed away 19 years ago. I have had that machine in my life for over 40 some years. My brother wanted it one time and my mother told him I had it and I would not part with it. I need to get me a new belt and I thought it would be great for my granddaugher to practice on. she is almost seven and is wanting to learn to sew.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 AM

I learned to sew on my Mother's treadle then she bought me my own. Sure wish that I had kept it. Now I sew on a Pfaff CV. Don't save any money now like back then but have to admit it, it sure is fun and challenging.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 AM

My DG tried to teach me how to sew on her treadle machine when I was about 7 or 8. She would have me try to sew her mending, but since I was fairly short, I couldn't sit to sew & do the treadle.
I have my DH grandmother's treadle machine that my FIL had put a motor on it so it would be easier for her to use.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 AM

When I was a little girl, my older brother would bring home small pieces of fabric from where he worked that they would throw away, I used them to piece together to make quilts for my dolls on the old treadle machine, my father would ask me to stop sewing so he could sleep! the foot rocker made so much noise. Later made my first skirt on that machine to wear to school. Today I am still sewing only on a Bernina, and still make doll quilts but this time are for my Granddaughter who is almost three! Many happy memories of that old treadle who taught me to sew! Thank you for an interesting topic totally enjoy talking about the treadle.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 AM

I also learned on a treddle machine. My older Sister has it and one day it will be mine.