Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!! >

I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!!

I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
My grandmother (who was a very wise woman) always maintained that "it's just as easy to pick up three weeks of dust as it is two". A neighbor (who cleaned almost every day) one day told my grandmother that since she says that often enough, she should put it on a pillow. So, she did!! And, I had it until 1993. Those certainly were words to live by. No, my house isn't dirty, but I suppose it could use a dusting, and the wash might need doing. I have more important (to me) things to do!!
My grandmother who was born in the 1800s said in the 1940s, that she hated these "modern" times with vacuum cleaners and such! It was just too much work!
She said that they used to clean the house well twice a year and otherwise just dusted once a week, and moped the kitchen floor when it needed it!
Yes, she was a quilter - and all of her sisters too!
J!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Originally Posted by ontheriver
... No, really, taught them to clean up after selves so really doesn't get a mess. They can even run the vacuum.
Seriously, how did you manage this? My DH and adult SS DO NOT clean up after themselves.
seems to me that: Two fully grown-up Somebodies I(DH and SS) seriously need a "time-out"
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm with you sister!!!!
I clean house (not every day) I quilt (almost every day) but the house is clean enough and comfortable.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM

I quilt fist. Then I feel so guilty about the housework I can get pretty motivated.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 AM

:shock: JEANNIE! I have heard that same type remark when I was younger from older older folks.

Apparently our level of what 'must' be as far as cleaning goes has gone about haywire. Imagine your Gramma seeing this and remarking. She would completely understand.

No one sane wants to live in a pig sty but heck folks!!! We see spotless and perfect in magazine, tv (aka HGTV) and really have come to expect life to immiate art!

OPPS I just fell off my undusted soapbox onto my dust bunnied floor! :wink:
Julie
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by newbee3
I am with you the thing about having a clean house to me is on the back burner. Believe me I do not live in filthy house just one that is lived in and has lots of love.
My houses gets a good cleaning before company comes - other than that -I try to vacuum once a week, but my greyhounds hate the vacuum cleaner - so in an effort not to scare them - I try not to vacuum
You are a VERY considerate Grey mommy!! :mrgreen:
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM

I was told by a wise lady that I should schedule quilting into my day just like a Doctor's appointment or anything else. That way you would have so much time to quilt everyday if you want to, and who doesn't want to do that.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Heck no.
I get the kids to clean.

The only time I "clean before quilt" is when I vacuum the floor I'm going to lay my quilt on to look at it or layer it.

Actually, I clean when the level of tolerance is passed. That was about a week ago. I do spot clean when I feel like it and that usually means the bathrooms first.
Don't get me wrong, our house is basically clean, just dusty.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
:shock: JEANNIE! I have heard that same type remark when I was younger from older older folks.

Apparently our level of what 'must' be as far as cleaning goes has gone about haywire. Imagine your Gramma seeing this and remarking. She would completely understand.

No one sane wants to live in a pig sty but heck folks!!! We see spotless and perfect in magazine, tv (aka HGTV) and really have come to expect life to immiate art!

OPPS I just fell off my undusted soapbox onto my dust bunnied floor! :wink:
Julie
I like the way you think!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
It doesn't shock me. I figure if the health dept. Doesn't show up and SO and GS aren't starving we're doing ok. No, really, taught them to clean up after selves so really doesn't get a mess. They can even run the vacuum.
...Must get lessons from you....