Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM

Years ago I purchased a 5 spool Singer serger, top of the line in its day. It came all threaded with white thread but I wanted to make a jumper out of black denim. So I rethreaded with black thread. Would not sew properly. So I rethreaded with white thread. Still sewed improperly. Went back to black. No go. Curious about which spool was causing the problem I rethreaded it in five different colors so I could get a visual on which thread was not threaded right. Thing sewed the most beautiful rainbow colored seam. Dang. So, I sewed the jumper with rainbow seams and then gave the machine to my best friend. I did not need that hassle. Now, if I take a hankering to have anything serged (background squares of fabric for hand applique usually) she does it for me. That's just my story but I say if you want one, get one. You may love serging.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I have had my Brother surger for about 12 years. I use it for making flannel chemo caps & for edging anything that ravels easily. And also for garment sewing, especially knits.

If you are not sure, I would go to the dealer & ask if you could just practice with one or take a class & see if it is what you really want. If not hooked on it, money that you would spend on one could be spent on fabric for quilting.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:19 AM

I have had a juki for lots of years and loved it so much when it died that I bought another one. I love it. I have done lots of sewing other than quilting so I use one pretty often. The one I bought a couple of years ago works great and my girlfriend loved it and found one on ebay. I spent about $350. Any place that sells them will let you play with a demo.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 AM

I bought a Brother 1034 serger on Amazon. I think they're about $229 now and free shipping. Comes with attachments and does a nice job. I found I don't use it much but I like to having it. I just made a pillowcase and finished the seam and it looks professional. I would advise against a used one. I bought one and found it couldn't do rolled hems because it didn't come with the plate needed. It only had 1 attachment with it. So I re-sold it and got the Brother. For the price you can't go wrong.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Hi Clair,
I PM'd you. I have one I'll sell you - it is brand
new, never used. PM me if you want to discuss it.
Marcia
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 AM

Depends what you want to do! They are great for creating stretch garments and great to finish edges when dressmaking and most do a great roll hem. Babylocks are great as they have jet air threading and no tension making it very easy if not a babylock look for one that has an easy looper threader as it will make threading so much easier.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM

Have had a serger for years, didn't have the classes of which I could have used. I am on my second one, the first was a 3 spool, this is a 4/5 spool. Have never used the 5th. Do much of my sewing with it & just wouldn't be with out my serger. Would love to have a second one like it just to not have to change colors.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM

Babylock is my choice with the self treader. If you've never had a serger and really would like to USE it that's the only way to go. Treading a serger is the most exasperating. I've had 2 of them and love them. I still want the Babylock.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

I love my Singer serger. Bought it about 30 years ago and it's still going strong. Don't use it now as much as I did when I was making clothes for DD and I. Use it to make a few clothes for DGD and to serge raw edges of fabric that won't be sealed in a quilt before washing. Do rolled hems on napkins, etc. I'm a shortie - have to shorten everything I buy - so serger is a must.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 AM

Check them out ask how hard it is to thread. I have a Janome it is so hard to get the one thread through I have to use Floss threaders I get from my dentist it works good