Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM

I had won years ago a gift from my husband gave it away not that impressed would rather have a quilting machine
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM

I have an older Singer that I have used regularly for a long time. I really like it. Just expect to spend some time going over the manual and try to understand it all. There are many different things you can do with it. Nancy Zieman has recently has several shows on this. A lot of decorative work can be accomplished with a Serger with a few changes to the settings. A little patience is a plus.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I've never had one either. I'd kinda like to get one. But, I have my eyes on the bigger prize. A longarm!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm sure many of you know this little tip on threading. Instead of pulling the old thread out to rethread with the new, cut the thread of each spool at the spool, remove the old spools, put in new spools, and tie the old and new threads together with a knot. Run the machine until the new thread has fed through a few inches. Voila, threaded! Learned this from a friend AFTER driving myself nuts and renaming my machine #&&??//%%%.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM

I love my serger. I sew lots of things besides quilts and would not be without it!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Lately my serger has done more cutting than sewing. I do alterations and have cut off miles of tulle from prom gowns that need hemming! Nice clean straight edges. I have the Nancy's Notions serger because I also got it stuck in my head that I wanted to have a serger and that was all I could afford at the time. But after having sewed on much more expensive (and easy to thread) BabyLocks where I worked, it was very frustrating to thread and adjust tensions. Still, if you do much sewing besides quilting there are many uses for it. It is great for home decorating projects and making rolled or overcast hems.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM

I have had a Singer serger for about 20 years. I have used it a lot. I especially like it to serge the edges of quilts after they are quilted. I use a four thread overlock stitch. By doing so, the edges are automatically trimmed, compressed and stitched together resulting in a nice, even edge. Our guild makes twin sized quilts for wounded soldiers. I have, as of yesterday, quilted 211 of these quilts on my longarm and have serged the edges. The quild ladies that sew the binding always tell me how they love the serged edges. I have also made boo-coodles of pillowcases. The serged seams make a wonderful finished seam.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I love my serger. I sew lots of things besides quilts and would not be without it!
Me too! :D
Old 06-03-2011, 02:34 AM

I bought a Babylock serger some years ago, and I absolutely love it because it does have the jet air threading. So simple and fast! Mine is an 8-thread and I opted for one with the coverlock stitch because it finishes the edges of tee shirts, etc. so professionally. I have never regretted paying for a more expensive machine up front because I did not want to have to go through the pain of threading one. I don't use it everyday, that's for sure, but I know it's there if I need it for a particular project. Never thought of using it to bind the edge of fabric before washing to prevent ravelling. Great idea! I can see where I am going to be using it a lot more! I also use mine when bath towels get too old to use; I cut them up, bind the edges with my serger, and use them for dish rags.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
You need to have a lot of patience. When I taught quilting at a local sew n vac shop, I used to break out in a sweat when someone wanted a demo on a serger. I don't know how much they have changed in last 10 yrs., but threading was a pain.
I have a "dinosaur" serger that still works very well, but threading it is a challenge - especially that lower looper. (I know about the tying the new thread to the one already in the machine and then pulling it through, but I haven't been successful) So I would recommend getting one that has the automatic threading feature. I've only seen them demonstrated, but it seems that the thread is "just sucked up into that machine" and before you know it, there's only the task of putting the thread though the hole in the needle

BTW, I've used the serger to make Kaye Wood's six-hour quilt.