Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new/stupid question (: >

new/stupid question (:

new/stupid question (:

Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Power Poster

You have just taken your first step...see...easy! Hello and welcome.

Quilting is one of those things in your life that starts small and ends up big. Visit here and ask a million questions, maybe take a class, have a play with some fabrics and a needle and thread, before you know it, we will see you posting your first project. Your local library is bound to have some quilting books (or request them) and many magazines can be purchased from thrift stores or second-hand book stores.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
I love to quilt and make little projects like rug mugs..I can not sew for anything..not even sew a straight line..But, I find making a quilt is alot easier than sewing things like clothes and such..To me quilting is fun because they do not have to be perfect..
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 AM

Start with an easy pattern (Log Cabin from Quilt in a Day or Irish Chain) and a small project. If it is available take 1 class to get all the basics, this is what I did.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 AM

I just started out with squares, no patterns, no piecing to make a block. I started out very simple. I took whatever novelty fabric I wanted to use, cut my squares and sewed them together, I did put sashing in. I'm past that now and on to more. It may help to just concentrate on how to do one thing at a time. First I worked on sewing my straight line and at 1/4 inch. After that work on perfecting something else. That is how I have been approaching everything as I had not even sewed before I started quilting.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 AM

I learned by taking a class at a Local Quilt Store. There is so much to learn and a good teacher, I feel, is essential to getting off to a good start. Be prepared to spend some cash on equipment because without the proper tools you will be frustrated.

PS I made 17 quilts in one year after making a sampler quilt that took a year to make! The best advice I received is that you can be perfect OR you can make a quilt.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 AM

That's not a stupid question, its dismal!! You are not setting yourself up for failure. You are setting yourself up for new challenges and a whole lot of fun! Go right ahead, jump right in. Make your mistakes, we all had to start somewhere. Good luck, and I expect to see more from you in the not too distant future.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
Gday Nike, you could answer this question yourself, go to this site and ask yourself if you are up for the challenge. This lady is amazing. Enjoy learning and meeting people, i think this is what it is all about. :) http://www.theamazingquilter.com/
Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Vat

It is additive. Yes, you can do it. One of the MOST important things it to play until you can do a PERFECT 1/4 in seam the rest is a piece of cake, do you like cake?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 AM

Nike, I havent been quilting all that long, and it is intimidating at first. Just know nothing is perfect and anything you make is special no matter what. And most importantly just have fun, enjoy what your doing and you will be fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 AM

Start with a small quilt before you tackle a larger one. Learn how to make blocks that are simple first.

I am still new to quilting and I still have a hard time. I have been practicing just on making different types of blocks by doing them in the 12" x 12"s. I am up to learning paper piecing now, which I am having a hard time figuring out how to do.

Just keep practicing,

Mary