Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Clair-search for a used babylock --I have had mine for over 13 yrs and love it. Had anothr before that and had lots of trouble with tension. There are lots of uses for a serger. I have had towels that are perfectly good except the edges fray and just serge them. I serge across the WOF when I am washing yardage-no fraying. If I am making a simple flannel quilt I serge and then turn and do a decorative stitch around the edge.
Hemming pants/jeans serge-turn up and stitch the hem. I paid about $1000.00 for mine 13 yrs ago but love it. That's why I said search for a used one. Maybe someone has traded theirs in for one of the newer ones. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 AM

I have owned a serger since they came out. I could not be without mine. I have used it to make serge and flip quilts but mostly for sewing projects. I started out with a BabyLock 3 thread with the dials and have worked my way up to an 8 thread with cover stitch. I have the wonderful BabyLock with the air threading for the lower loopers now. It does a great job. I also have one with an LCD screen that tells you the settings for each project. I make t-shirts, underwear, swimsuits, pants, etc. I used to work as a power sewing machine operator and used an over seam machine there and when the home version came out I was ready.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM

I have 3 sergers. I have been doing garment construction for about 35 or more years. the best investment I ever made was the serger. Cut my time down, and makes the garments look professionaly made. For quilting I only serge the edges of yardage before washing fabric. I learned how to thread the machine in under 15 minutes of getting it home. First and foremost, do not be afraid of the machine. If you get a video with your machine watch it a few times if necessary before threading it. Otherwise read the manual and follow the step by step instructions as you learn to thread it. Pay attention to the pictures as you thread the machine.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Haven't read all the posts but IMHO buy the one with Jetaire threading is worth it all. I have a 'regular' one and don't use it because I can't remember how to thread it. You will be disappointed and maybe NEVER use it if you have trouble threading.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Babylocks are a good brand. I've had mine for a number of years but I only use it for knits and garment making.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I have 3 sergers. I have been doing garment construction for about 35 or more years. the best investment I ever made was the serger. Cut my time down, and makes the garments look professionaly made. For quilting I only serge the edges of yardage before washing fabric. I learned how to thread the machine in under 15 minutes of getting it home. First and foremost, do not be afraid of the machine. If you get a video with your machine watch it a few times if necessary before threading it. Otherwise read the manual and follow the step by step instructions as you learn to thread it. Pay attention to the pictures as you thread the machine.

Good Luck

Suzy
I use my serger all the time - why had I not thought before to serge the edge of fabric before I washed it? This has got to the hint of the day for me! :-)
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Amen!

Originally Posted by misseva
Haven't read all the posts but IMHO buy the one with Jetaire threading is worth it all. I have a 'regular' one and don't use it because I can't remember how to thread it. You will be disappointed and maybe NEVER use it if you have trouble threading.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by clair
ok girls and guys , I have it in my head to purchase a serger. I,am retired and just want to play with one. am I crazy? you know when you get something in your head and can't jet it out. anyway either talk me out of it or tell me the one I should buy, remember I'm a beginner at serging, though I quilt and sew a lot I've never owned a serger. I've been looking but it's really confusing. Looking to spend around 500.00 I looked at baby lock and if I was sure I would use it that would be my choice ,but I'm real good at wanting something and then never using it after I get It . I would consider a good used on If I knew what to look for. Need your help in picking one Thanks in advance. :D
I have had one for over 20 years and recently had to get another when my first died. I use it to finish off garments, cushion covers and any thing else I need to do with it. It is up to you to decide if it is worth the money in the long run. You will never know when it will come in handy and they are great machines. I found out you can do many other things with them not just edges. There are DVD's which show you all the different things that can be done. Try one out and see if you really want to spend that money.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 PM

I bought a White Superlock 5 years ago at a garage sale dirt cheap. I had to spend about $100 to get a few things that it needed (can't recall what all), but it is a great machine and works great, and it was a steal even after the additional spending. I bought several sets of cone thread. I sat down with the video that comes with it and learned the basics. I think I made one little house dress. Then I didn't use it again for a few months, and realized that I'd have to start all over again with that video, and it was hard to get motivated to do that, when I had other projects that were more "approachable". After my grandson was born, by DIL asked if I had some fabric swatches with various textures for the baby to play with, and serging was the best way to finish those in a hurry. I managed it without too much trouble, but broke the needle on the last one. Every time I think about sewing anything other than a quilt, it seems to me to be more expensive than just buying clothes, and home sewn things can't be tried on first. Long story short: I've used the thing twice in 5 years. I'm not sure why I'm hanging on to it. I guess it's the triumph of hope over experience.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

I use my serger all the time - why had I not thought before to serge the edge of fabric before I washed it? This has got to the hint of the day for me! :-)
I use a rotary cutter with a pinking blade. It's quick, effective and does not use up thread.