Flat screen tv help

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM

Buy a well know brand, Sony, LG, Sumsung. We have an Olevia, which it turns out is not compatible with Directtv. Stupid tv looses the signal.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM

We just got a plasma in February and love it. I know the older ones had their problems, but the newer ones we looked at are fine. Ours has an exceptionally clear picture and the colors are excellent. We got the extended service plan because it covers repair/replacement for just about everything including lightning strikes (and we get a lot of them here).
Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM

We recently purchased a Samsung LCD with HD and LOVE it. It is only a 32" but suits our living room quite well.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Our tv was sooooo old (and small) that we had to break down and get a new one. We looked at a lot of them and ended up with a Sharp Aquos LED too. It is AWESOME!!! Fantastic clarity and color.

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
An Aquos is a type of LED made by Sharp. That's what I have, very nice tv.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM

We have three flatscreens now, an LG 32" LCD in the bedroom, which we've had about three years, an LG 55" LED in the great room, which we've had about a year, and a 19" Vizio LCD in the kitchen. Love the 55" the best--we watch a lot of NCAA basketball in the winter and bought it for that. We have a lot of windows plus skylights in the great room so we could have a "reflection" problem. The salesman at BestBuy turned all the tv's off with the click of a button so that we could compare the finishes on the screens--some of them have the non reflective glass (the LG was one of them). All three tv's have great pictures. My complaint with the Vizio is how it responds to the remote (actually a Direct TV remote). With the LG's, all you have to do is point the remote in the general direction and push a button. With the Vizio, it's a hassle to try to get it to respond--have to point it just right and push the buttons multiple times at multiple positions to get the tv to respond, which it frustrating. I tried to get my husband to exchange it for a different brand but he never did.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM

Some people, (me) have visual problems that prevent them from being able to see the picture on a plasma screen. I can't see some screens on cell phones either. I don't know what it is called, but I can not see anything with binoculars either, unless I close one eye or the other.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
Steer clear of the plasma unless you plan to sit directly in front of the screen at all times watching the tv. When you are off center, the picture becomes blurry.
I agree here, we went all over and received lots of information from Best Buy, and a few other high end stores, then went over to Wal-Mart and bought ours onsale and we bought a 47 " HD television which we both are so glad we did the 1080p instead of the 7 something, its clearer and a sharper image. We bought a Vizio, and I would buy another if we wanted another tv. its great so far!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM

i bought a samsung 32" almost 5 years ago and have never been sorry except that now they are less than half price of what i paid. at that time the sony had the best picture quality but was a little more expensive and then the samsung was the next best.