Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate? >

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 AM

I just remembered a story from long ago. We'd just moved, and one of our two cats disappeared for a couple of days. My husband then spotted a dead cat in the road near our house. Even though he was on his way to work, he took the time to give "Sam" a decent burial. The next morning our 2-yr-old was sitting in his high-chair, and he pointed out the window saying "Kitty!" I said, "There's the kitty," pointing to the remaining cat, but the DS was insistent, and finally I looked where he was pointing. Sure enough Sam had just used only one of his nine lives and he had come home to stay. He was all black with a few white hairs on his chest, just like the one DH had buried. We never found out whose cat that was.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 AM

I had a cat named Twinkle when I was a teen. He loved to ride in the car under the seat. He disappeared one night. My father had noticed a car parked next door with tags from a town 150 miles away(the towns are far apart in WY so the county pretty much tells you the town). Twink was gone for a week when we heard him at the door. He was skinny, dirty and had raw paws but he was home.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 AM

So glad you found your cat. We have also had 2 cats at our house and they have gotten outside several times. I have an idea though to help next time. I have taught my cats that the sound of a shaking kitty treat container means you get a treat. They have all learned to come to the sound. When I need them to go to the vet etc. I just shake the container. I also do it occasionally just for the fun of it. It is a great "trick" for you cat to learn. It has worked also when they are hiding under a car outside.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 AM

I am so glad your cat came home...I don't know what I would do if I lost my Opal. She is so pampered and would probably freak out and not find her way back home.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 AM

I have a friend who had 2 cats so they have company when she's gone.

One got out, and was gone for several days. We went to a shelter and another friend and I persuaded her to get two cats, as they were so sweet and pretty.

About two weeks later, Tommy came back - he was sitting in front of her house - looked like he was waiting for her. Never told shere he was or what he did, but must have had a good time, as he was healthy, clean, and had not lost weight.

So now she had 4 cats, which is 2 more than she really wants. Then one of them developed a psychological problem (destructive when friend was gone) so she had to find a new home for her.

So, now she has 3 cats.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

We have a cat, Spicy, that dissapeared for several days and one day she just showed up again as if nothing happened. We do not know where she had been and had assumed the worst.

So glad your cat is back safe. I guess you will never know where she was just like with our cat.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 AM

In 1999, when my daughter's house was destroyed by a tornado ( with her and sil inside ), their indoor cat dissapeared. My daughter was heartbroken , but I told her that cats were resilient and not to give up hope. One week later, as a back hoe was lifting the rubbish that WAS the house,the cat called from under a big pile of refuse. The back hoe lifted the corner and my grandson crawled under far enough to rescue her. She was dehydrated but otherwise just fine. She lived to a ripe old age !
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 AM

We moved alot when I was a kid, one of six, I had to room with my older sister. I was tomboy she was Miss Priss. When she wanted a white long hair so she could dye it HOT PINK, she got her wish. One day she wanted Mother to bring it to school for show and tell. Now we lived several miles out of town more than ten, and town was about 8000 population wise. Show and tell went off without a hitch, Mother stopped by the grocery store on her way home leaving the cat, I know it was a male but forget his name, leaving him in the car with windows cracked. Well, apparently she left too big of a crack and when she returned no cat. It took three plus weeks but he showed back up at home one evening at my brothers' window that had a small tear in it, came right in and proceeded to make his presence known. He was a much paler pink and had a small oil tar type stain on one side but no worse for the whole affair. We moved not too long after to a very large city and into a neighborhood with many close homes, whenever he would get out from time to time and the neighborhood saw him we had people stopping, imagining they were seeing things. Made a lot of friends in that new neighborhood through that cat!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 AM

I hope you checked the cat for fleas and ticks after her adventure. Also, beware that in that vegetation she may have poison ivy in her fur and can bring that inside to you as you pet her!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 AM

My daughter and I foster cats from Feral Fixers. We integrate them into living in a home instead of outside. One day I had the windows open (the bottom not the top as I usually do) and our 2 fosters, Chuck and Peabody pushed the screen out and escaped, that was the night of the horrible rain storm. The next day we put out two traps with food and several litter boxes. One trap was in the garage with the door up so they would have room to come inside. Two days later, Peabody was trapped in the garage and then 2-3 more days Chuck got trapped in the garage trap. Yeah!!! So keep your hopes up and see if you can borrow a trap to help get your cat back. Good luck!