Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate? >

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM

Glad to hear your kitty came home.:thumbup:

About 6 yrs ago, my daughter and SIL took a trip to NYC for training for his job and sightseeing. They lived in an apartment about 25 miles away. I was to go there every other day while they were away to check on/feed/water their cat. They also had an A/C problem/water leak that apt maintenance was to fix while they were away.

The last day I went, there was evidence that the maintenance people had been there to repair. And I couldn't find Chigger anywhere in the apt. I searched all over...in closests, the pantry, utility/laundry., under the beds, etc. Shook the treat can. Searched all over outside calling her/rattling the treat can. Nothing.

Called DD on the cellphone in a panic, told her the situation, and said we needed to try one last thing, and if that didn't work, I was gonna cry. So I held the phone out while she called "Here, Chigger....Here KittyKitty." And, Chigger came out from her hiding place, Thank Goodness! :lol:
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Glad you found your cat. I have 2 stories:

1. Years ago we had a yellow tabby named Taffy. She was an outside cat only. We had to go away for a few months so hubby could train for new job before moving to another town. We left her enough food for the time we were gone hoping she would be OK. When we returned to actually move we could not find her to take her with us. On the last trip to the house we sold, hubby tried one more time to find her and went to an old barn just down the road from our house and stopped and called her and waited. Just as he was getting into the truck because he did not think she was coming back, he saw her coming out of the woods. We had her at our new home for 4 years until we moved to FL. We gave her to a friend of my daughters who lived on a farm and she stayed there until she died of old age.

2. My current cat, Bailey was an indoor/outdoor cat for many years in Orlando. He would go out at night and be home in the AM. At one point he would not come back in the AM but would eventually show up later in the day or next AM. Then he did not return for days. I finally gave up, thinking he had been hit by a car or in a fight he did not win. I threw out his bowls and gave his leftover food away. Then after 14 days he showed up in the AM just like always---fat and sassy as ever. He has stayed home ever since and now seldom goes out of doors. He had one fight too many and almost lost his life and cost 1000.00 to treat his infections. So at age 14 he is a lazy, fat house cat!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 AM

My husband works in industrial sheet metal and often has to
haul trailers loaded with construction materials to jobs. We lived on 30 acres in the middle of nowhere. One cold winter morning, I got a telephone call about 20 minutes after DH had left."You'got to come meet me at Mickey's (a gas station just off the interstate). Not a morning person, I asked"What?!? He impatiently repeated his demand. I asked if he had forgotten something. He said "No. I left this morning & when I stopped to get gas, NuNu (my son's cat-his soul mate) was on the back bumper of the truck." Now this is a 15 lb. cat on a 4-6 inch metal ledge. He had travelled 20 miles over country roads followed by an industrial trailer,fully loaded, which would have rolled over him if he had fallen. What did he hold onto? What if my DH had not stopped for gas & gotten on the interstae? I think cats
(and all pets) not only are angels, but have guardian angels. You baby will show up.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM

I do not have a cat story, but a dog story. I also believe in positive thinking and PRAYER. On May 1st, 2010(Saturday) someone picked up our basset hound, because she wouldn't get out of the road(rural). She was gone. No trace, nothing. Since we live in a rural area and have a local radio station I put out a lost and found. On Thursday night, I received a phone call from someone who had been at the Heart Of Virginia Festival in Farmville. My dog was there. She has 1 blue eye and 1 brown eye. When I went to work on Friday, I called everyone whom I knew that had anything to do with that festival. About an hour later, I received a call from someone in Winchester(4 hours away). She had my dog. Then proceeded to tell me I owed her $450. She had taken the dog to the vet for a check up. Yes she did spend $430 at vet, plus new collar and lesh. I then called our animal control warden who did some checking into the matter. We were instructed not to pay the money, but to call the police when we got to Charlottesville. The policeman said he couldn't pick up the dog and had no animal control person on duty. I then asked the police officer what if they won't give back the dog if we don't pay the $450. He told me to call him then because they were holding the dog for ransom. Happy ending. We only had to drive 2 hours to pick her up. She was at UVA with the ladies daughter. Very sweet girl. The only thing I can say is that we serve an AWESOME GOD!!!!
Will say prayer for your kittie to come home.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 AM

There is nothing like a good ending to a lost cat story!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM

So glad your cat has come home and that you let us know as those of us who have been through similar situations would have continued to worry.

In the dead of Winter in Illinois we lost our cat Angel. We were expecting a repair man that day and specifically requested that he not leave the door to the garage open. We went to work and the kids went to school. When we came home, no Angel. Repairman said, he never even saw the cat, called the vet etc. It was below zero outside and we didn't think our declawed cat could survive the cold etc. So of course you know we have to go out calling, looking etc. Frozen, we finally decide to swallow a little supper. Our oldest son said he would go back out to look as soon as he packed for a trip he was going on the next morning. Ten minutes later he shouted from upstair. Angel had crawled into the dresser drawer with all of his corduroys. She never meowed while we searched house etc. You should have seen those corduroys after a whole day of Angel turning round and round on them!!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
So glad your cat has come home and that you let us know as those of us who have been through similar situations would have continued to worry.

In the dead of Winter in Illinois we lost our cat Angel. We were expecting a repair man that day and specifically requested that he not leave the door to the garage open. We went to work and the kids went to school. When we came home, no Angel. Repairman said, he never even saw the cat, called the vet etc. It was below zero outside and we didn't think our declawed cat could survive the cold etc. So of course you know we have to go out calling, looking etc. Frozen, we finally decide to swallow a little supper. Our oldest son said he would go back out to look as soon as he packed for a trip he was going on the next morning. Ten minutes later he shouted from upstair. Angel had crawled into the dresser drawer with all of his corduroys. She never meowed while we searched house etc. You should have seen those corduroys after a whole day of Angel turning round and round on them!!
What a cute story and I bet no one even cared about the hairs on those pants.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Our inside cat, Ivana w/no front claws got out when my grandson came to feed the animals during our vacation about 5 yrs ago. He didn't know she got out until the next morning when she wasn't there when he went to feed again. He was so scared for her & himself Ha! that he didn't tell us for several days. It was summer & blistering hot (Texas) & we live in an urban neighborhood about a block from a major road & also woods & creek at the end of our street. After a worrisome 2 days before we could get home I immediately started walking the perimenter of the house calling her name to no avail. I went inside to take a shower & went out again calling her & all of a sudden I heard a big clamor next door & the neighbor calling his dog to stop. I yelled to him to see if Copper was after a cat & he said, yes, a big grey & white one. I ran to the back yard & there she was sitting on the ledge between the spa & swimming pool scared to death. The dog had gotten hold of her a little, but did not do any major damage (checked by the vet in AM) thank goodness. Turns out that they had been away also & the pet sitter told him Copper had been barking & sniffing around the raised deck at the edge of the pool when she took him out. I think the reason Ivana had not met a worse fate was that she had hidden out in their yard & deck all that time & started to come out when she heard me calling her. I brought her home & she was one scared & tired kitty, but otherwise alright. She is still a wonderful cat & we still have to watch her everytime she is around when we open the door! Good luck & I will pray yours returns.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM

I have 2 stories. My black and white left our new house and didn't return for 6 weeks. This was about 18 yrs ago. We called the people who bought our old house to notify them if she tried to come back there and to give them our phone#. All they said was " I hope she doesn't disturb our dogs".??? Our old house was about 12miles away and she returned 6 wks later. She never told us where she went but she was thinner.
Then a few years later she went missing again on a Wed evening. We notified the shelter, neighbors and the radio station. I was heartbroken. Then on Sunday I was outside calling her again and I heard a little "meow". I looked around and saw her in the neighbors garage window. The neighbor was a long distance driver and had left for a 3 week job. I got a key for the garage from a neighbor and the cat came sauntering out as if it had been a nice 4 day vacation!
So keep the faith and I hope your cat returns real soon. BTW I got my black and white from the Humane Society when she was 5 months and she lived for 22 years. She died in my arms just 2 years ago.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

I was raised on a farm. When Dad was mowing hay, my all-white Fluffy cat was out mousing. Dad came back to the house and said he'd seen Fluff hobbling from the hay-mower with one leg app'tly cut off and bleeding from her stomach area. Folks told me she'd go away to die by herself. I took a saucer of milk out to the barn twice a day for acouple months. It kept disappearing and Dad said the racoons were drinking it. One day while setting the bowl out, I saw a flash of white in the hay. I began calling her each time I took food out, and within afew days she came to me. It was quite the reunion.....she went back in the house and only had supervised time outside after that!